Principal Engineer of Network Engineering ( 604736-1H )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will function as a Tenant Operations engineering lead in support of the current Network in a Box project, supporting 17+ IMS Core/EPC 4G/5G network elements along with supporting new upcoming business initiatives that involve new wholesale/MVNO subscriber database (SDM) backend and frontend network elements. These subsystems include: Home Subscriber Server (HSS), Authentication Authorization and Accounting (AAA), Subscriber Database system (OneNDS), Shared Data Layer (SDL), and NetAct Element Management Systems. You have experience or knowledge in scripting and automation (e.g., Shell, Python, Ansible) and have a knack for using these abilities to increase efficiency within a production environment. You'll bring experience in an Openstack or Webscale environment, as well as experience with IMS call flow debugging and packet analysis. The successful candidate will have experience deploying IMS applications and will be able to demonstrate knowledge of Linux and common debugging techniques for the application and system.
- Analyze network applications, alarms, and KPI’s and develop code to increase the visibility into issues before they surface. Work closely with the Operations team to provide efficient health checks, dashboards, and automation tools to reduce meantime to repair.
- Interpretweekly network KPI trends and measurements while helping operations address capacity and demand growth on the systems by defining and creating migration plans.
- Provide mentoring to other team members on networking, application design, engineering and automation while acting as the final escalation point to support production service issues in concert with application, operational, and triage teams.
- Leadperformance meetings with the vendor, planning and maintenance engineering and creating detailed project plans, providing input to weekly status calls with teams across several organizations.
- Being the Openstack liaison on network and application design implementations for local redundancy and geographic diversity.
Where you’ll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a technical expert with experience managing multiple medium to large projects at once. You know how to manage a project team, creating clarity, removing barriers, and using creativity to make decisions that impact projects and staff members. Cross-functional work is ideal for you, given your collaborative nature and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders across the organization.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with scripting and automation of tasks (e.g., bash, Ksh, Python, yaml, ansible).
- Cloud computing experience with virtual application deployment.
- Managing network security and vulnerability at the application level.
- Understanding of LTE, IMS, VoLTE call flows.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree or Master’s degree in a technology relevant field.
- Certification in Linux, OpenStack, Database Admin, Cloud Security or other relevant technology.
- Knowledge of database technologies (e.g., Oracle, Couchbase, MySQL).
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, Netmask, DIAMETER, SIP, LDAP and load balancing.
- Knowledge of protocol analysis tools such as IrisView, NetScout, wireshark, tcpdump, ping, netstat.
- Experience working with a high-availability and disaster recovery solution.
- Strong knowledge of design principles of OpenStack architecture and how networking operates in an OpenStack cloud.
- Ability to carry out performance tuning, software upgrades, and resource optimization.
- Ability to demonstrate applied leadership skills in previous work history.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.