MPLS Network Engineer (60324)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
IT Networks General Department Duties
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
The FirstEnergy IT Transport-WAN Team is a 24/7 engineering and operations group responsible for the FirstEnergy private data network/WAN. The IT Transport-WAN Team operates as a multi-state private communications provider that utilizes many of the same systems that are employed by commercial communication carriers. The IT Transport-WAN Team is responsible for the architecture, engineering, design, implementation, operation, maintenance, and licensing/regulatory compliance of the wide area network. The private data network is a shared resource providing connectivity for FirstEnergy applications that are used across a five-state territory supporting FirstEnergy’s Corporate Data, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)/Energy Management System (EMS), voice, and private two-way radio. The network consists largely of optical fiber and microwave with some leased circuits. The main underlying network technologies are Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS).
High-Level Position Responsibilities
This is a senior level position for someone with proven experience supporting or designing transport systems, particularly MPLS. Job responsibilities will include:
- Provide recommendations for improvements to the MPLS network (800+ Nokia routers), support during changes to the network, and troubleshoot break-fix situations
- Engineering and implementation of new systems and services
- On-going 24/7 support of the FirstEnergy optical DWDM, MPLS, and microwave transport networks (team members participate in a weekly on-call rotation and are expected to respond to pages when it is their week to be on-call)
- Transport project management
- Interface with FirstEnergy’s Fiber Team, fiber support contractors, field techs, and other network services contractors.
- Support a cost-effective, secure, reliable and redundant network utilizing fiber, microwave and radio
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or a related field or equivalent work experience in a network engineering or operations environment
- 5+ years of experience in a Nokia or Cisco routing network
- Strong understanding of BGP and ISIS routing protocols
- Demonstrable understanding of TCP/IP layer-3 routing & layer-2 switching fundamentals
- Proven troubleshooting skills in routing/switching or optical networks
- Good interpersonal (written and verbal) communications and presentations skills
- Knowledge of MS Excel/Word/PPT and drafting/drawing (Visio/CAD)
- Proven project management skills
- Knowledge of the OSI reference model
Preferred candidates may also possess one or more of the following:
- Nokia Routing Specialist (NRS I, NRS II) or Nokia Service Routing Architect (SRA) certification
- Optical transport network engineering design & planning
- Knowledge of Optical Transmission Principles, including standard wavelengths, typical attenuation, optical power factors, anomalies, etc.
- Experience with Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), Optical Transport Network (OTN) mesh, and Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)
- Demonstrable experience & expertise in troubleshooting optical networks problems
- Experience with network management applications (e.g. Nokia Network Functions Manager, Cisco Prime and Cisco Transport Controller)
- Good knowledge of encryption technologies and protocols (VPN/IPSec)
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team