Senior Engineer - Network Engineering Operations ( 585525-1H )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This role within the VNOE team includes planning, engineering and implementation of the Mobile Private Network (MPN) transport. The Mobile Private Network directly supports millions of enterprise, wholesale and public safety customers across the nation. The Virtual Network Operations & Engineering (VNOE) transport engineer will be responsible for engineering of the Enterprise, Wholesale, and Public Safety Core services in support of the network function virtualization (NFV) deployments to ensure capacity needs, strategic features, and functionality are met. This position includes responsibilities such as researching, identifying and engineering the site-specific configurations of the associated gateway & transport resources at multiple locations. This position also consists of MPN customer migrations from XGW to XGW, while increasing scope of full end-to-end automated efforts. You must be detail-oriented, think critically to solve issues in real-time and focus on the goal of automation & virtualization while maximizing customer uptime and minimizing impact.
The MPN transport consists of both physical and virtual router elements. Therefore, this position requires advanced knowledge of both physical and logical connectivity. You must have advanced knowledge of Layer 2 and Layer 3 connectivity, BGP and Diameter routing protocols. You will be required to resolve gateway deployment issues by validating these parameters and their interaction with other network devices. They must diagnose failures down to the application level and coordinate resolution with multiple groups and vendors while understanding and diagnosing end-to-end call flow.
This person will also be a leader within the Virtual Network Operations and Engineering (VNOE) Team, working with external vendors and internal teams such as MTCE, TP&D, HQ Planning, Product and NI to translate the high-level design into an end-to-end automated deployment and integration plans.
- Engineers the MPN transport environment in strategic locations to support the rollout of new NFV environments, including but not limited to 5GC.
- Develops and engineers automated workflows to support service automation and orchestration to enhance efficiency and achieve scale.
- Engineers MPN transport to enable connectivity to virtual and physical MPN infrastructure enabling virtualization & MPN customer capacity.
- Engineers and automates network changes to MPN infrastructure to facilitate deployment of new MPN service features.
- Produces timely and accurate configurations and automated configuration models/workflows for MPN transport that are in line with established designs.
- Leads the project rollout by coordinating with internal and external teams to set dates and drive changes into the network.
- Acts independently as a member of a highly technical team to advance customer conversions to virtual environments.
- Works with the performance and planning team to keep existing NFV applications and infrastructure elements below engineering KPIs.
- Thinks critically and make technical and business decisions that drive progress forward while putting customer uptime first.
- Develops resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity.
- Focuses on high availability, resiliency, security, efficiency, and operational supportability while meeting or exceeding the project schedule.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining results.
- Accountable for the project results, summarizing the project status and documentation.
In this remote role, you'll work from home with occasional in-person trainings and meetings.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of 3GPP standards and protocols: LTE, TCP/IP, DIAMETER and SIP.
- Experience of 4G/5G Core.
- Knowledge of IMS and LTE call flows, interfaces, protocols and wireless technologies.
- ENSE/IEN and OTNGN experience.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking (v4 & v6), BGP, OSPF, QOS, MPLS; Familiarity with TCP, UDP, SCTP, RADIUS, and Mobile IP protocols.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Five or more years of related engineering experience for networking and wireless infrastructure products.
- Communications, interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of virtualized 3GPP Mobile Packet Core network and related components, such as OpenStack, and Load balancers.
- Working knowledge of PGW.
- Linux/Unix operating system knowledge and Python/shell scripting.
- Experience with XML and JSON. Some level of automation testing.
- Knowledge of IMS components and data network elements.
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Itential (Pronghorn), Cisco Network Services Orchestrator (NSO), Cisco Virtual Topology System (VTS), Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Python, HP NFV Director.
- Cisco (CCNA/CCNP), Openstack, Redhat certifications.
- Experience with the Agile process, Kanban boards and Jira.
- Track record of delivering large systems to a predefined schedule.
- Experience with Record of distilling highly complex technical solutions into business cases for leadership.
- Managed high expectations from multiple directions with the proven ability to focus team members on objectives.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).