Mgr Engrg - Project Delivery (101108)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
Under the direction of the Engineering Director, responsible for supervising a functional Engineering, Project Management and/or
Construction staff and managing and coordinating several Capital Investment project activities related to Production, Networks, and/or other water resource or operations systems.
- Supervise staff of Engineers and Project Managers for:Monitoring and managing budgets and schedules for Capital Investment Projects and programs of varying scope and complexity. (20%)
- Supervise staff of Engineers and Project Managers for: Driving efficiency into project delivery through the development and monitoring of delivery metrics (unit costs, target costs vs actual, etc.) and pursuit of more effective delivery and procurement approaches. (10%)
- Delivery of Capital Projects within the limits of assigned Capital
- Investment Management (CIM) projects and programs to meet asset needs. (20%)
- Ensure Asset Owner satisfaction in accordance with the scope of work agreed upon for each project. Interacts with Operations personnel to ensure project delivery program meets operations needs.
- And coordinated with operations personnel on operational impacts related to project delivery program. (20%)
- Ensures compliance with established regulatory criteria, specifications and standards. (10%)
- Interacts with property group, governmental agencies and manages and supervises programs to obtain permits, certification and approvals for assigned projects and programs. (10%)
- Broad knowledge of Engineering, Project Management and construction management practices related to planning, design, construction and operations for water resource management facilities, engineering and utility economics and contract administration and construction technology.
- Good working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, water treatment, developer services and other related water resource management disciplines.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of company procedures, policies and operations.
- Knowledge of employee relations, applicable safety and environmental regulations, federal and state water quality and design regulations and technical standards.
- Strong management skills (e.g., planning, organizing, directing and development of employees).
- Ability to interact with governmental agencies, consultants and the general public with effective skills.
- Project planning skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills (e.g., presentation, listening, report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills (tact/diplomacy, persuasion, cooperation and ability to motivate others).
- Computer literacy. Competent in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, flow-charting, project scheduling.
- Financial analysis skill, including budget management and basic accounting knowledge.
- Minimum 12 years of experience in water utility or related field.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Certifications & Licenses:
- Professional Engineering (PE) license preferred.
- 20% Travel to support business requirements as necessary.
- 80% Office
- 20% Travel
- Key Accountabilities (cont.):
- Ensures that policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and approved objectives are adhered to and/or achieved.
- Develops a sound organization staffed with able and motivated employees and provides for or trains suitable replacement. (40%)
- Competencies (from the Water Division Competency Dictionary):
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and general business experience.
- Drives Performance - Setting clear, challenging, collaborative goals and expectations for people that are aligned with business objectives.
- Tracking and measuring progress, providing feedback and making adjustments as necessary.
- Delivers Results - Delivers bottom line results through bold, decisive actions, working through risks and uncertainty to create opportunity.
- Continually raises standards and promotes entrepreneurial behavior.
- People Development - Creates opportunities and builds shared commitment in order to develop capabilities and improve business performance through individual and team development.
- Sharing Knowledge & Expertise - Drives business performance by developing and contributing specific technical or professional knowledge, skills and experience.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude.
- Teamworking - Is committed to working collaboratively to achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.