Project Estimator/Manager (Engineer II - III)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
*Position may be based in Western PA, Northeast Ohio or a West Virginia location
This position is responsible for managing, monitoring, executing, and controlling projects and processes to ensure deliverables associated with safety, scope, schedule, and budget are achieved. Employees must be proficient in all areas of project management, cost control and program management. The candidates are recognized as subject matter experts on project management, able to educate and direct others on technical subject matter and are responsible for solving highly complex problems and managing highly complex projects.
The position will function as a team leader, team member, or as an individual to perform tasks related to engineering, analysis, construction, start-up, maintenance, or operations relative to the various capital projects within Regulated Generation., including, but not limited to: Reg Gen plant projects, solar projects, energy storage projects, landfill projects, and retired plant demolition projects.
- Be mentored by experienced Project Engineering staff
- Manage diverse projects / processes / programs while ensuring project deliverables are achieved safely within the approved scope, cost and schedule.
- Provide guidance to other project team members on all aspects of project management strategy and practices.
- Reviewing Project documents for accuracy and completeness -- examples include scope documents, project plan, contracts, equipment and construction bid packages, requisitions, drawings, technical submittals, and Engineering Work Requests.
- Reviewing Project and contract budgets for adequacy and completeness. Initiate and ensure budget revisions are made and documented when required.
- Ensuring change management protocols are followed to ensure complete documentation for changes in scope, schedule and costs.
- Providing project status reports. Recurring, standard reports and ad hoc reports that address status of scope, budget and schedule and that identifies risks and issues and outlines mitigation strategy.
- Obtaining concurrence (or buy-in) from affected departments to support the proposed schedule and resource requirements. Review and approval of Project Plans.
- Validating project estimates including contingency.
- Developing, with input of project team, the strategic and tactical execution plan for the project.
- Ensuring adequacy of Project Team membership and participation. Responsible for overseeing the activities of consultants and contractors assigned.
- Understanding and enforcing the terms of contracts and associated documentation of services under the contract/purchase order.
- Responsible for overseeing the activities of the consultants and contractors assigned to a project
- Plan, coordinate and monitor the field execution of capital projects with support from various FE Representatives.
- Responsible for the quality assurance and control program, including identification of quality requirements, responsibility for QA program and if required, review and approval process for contractor provided procedures.
- Recognizing risks and implement mitigating steps and measures to ensure a safe work environment for others and self.
- Working with project controls to develop and update project schedules.
- Ensuring timely close-out and lessons learned protocols on projects are completed.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or a related discipline for an ABET accredited school, with demonstrated experience in project management. Consideration given to non-degreed candidates with over 10 years related project management/construction management experience.
- Ability to work independently on assignments that may be broad in nature involving the compilation, preparation, and analysis of various statistical/analytical data, reports, statements, studies, or projects.
- Project management skills with the demonstrated ability to develop, manage and control multiple tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively work independently and in unison with fellow team members.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Word.
- Desire to continue to learn and grow, work across FirstEnergy, and deliver results.
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focused, and results oriented.
- Travel, as required. Successful candidate must be a team player and possess a willingness to work in a team environment
- At the Engineer II level, qualifications include all the above, plus a minimum of entry level to one (0-1) year experience as an Engineer.
- At the Engineer III level, qualifications include all the above, plus a minimum of eight (2-4) years’ experience as an Engineer.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team