Construction Project Manager - Military Services Group (MSG) (100831)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
American Water's Military Services Group (MSG) has been awarded a contract for ownership, operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater utility systems at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Washington state. MSG provides water and wastewater services to military installations across the country as part of the federal government’s Utilities Privatization (UP) Program. Join our team by submitting an application for immediate consideration.Primary Role
As a project manager within the American Water Military Services Group Capital/Engineering function, this position is responsible for the development and management of construction projects or assignments in the field of water and wastewater. This includes all aspects of public water supply and treatment systems and wastewater collection & treatment systems including asset management, project and construction management, business development, and issues relating to operations & maintenance. Projects or assignments fall within the following general categories listed below.
- Managing all activities concerned with the delivery of multiple capital investment projects from inception to completion. This includes project budgeting and administration within an established capital investment management process, management or self-performance of project delivery tasks including preliminary engineering, detailed design, permitting, procurement, construction management, field inspection, testing, turnover and project closeout.
- Support project delivery efforts through interpreting and determining asset & operational requirements, organizing and executing detailed engineering design tasks, administering project specific permitting tasks, providing technical support and operator training during construction & commissioning.
- Engineering studies and/or troubleshooting related to water/wastewater operations and maintenance concerns, project or program management for maintenance of engineered assets (storage tanks, reservoirs, dams, etc.) or event management support related to unplanned occurrences (droughts, storms, floods, power outage, asset failures, etc.).
- Manage multiple projects and perform varied engineering assignments associated with capital planning, design, and construction
- Efficient management of sub-contractors including negotiations of sub-contract agreements; delivery of projects on time and within pre-established budgets
- Supervise field and contract personnel to ensure timely completion of assignments, within budget and adherence to standards
- Assist in the preparation of technical, bidding, and contractual documents associated with delivery of capital investment projects
- Establish project budget and cost. Monitor and manage budgets and schedules for medium to small Capital Investment Projects and programs of moderate scope and complexity
- Provide technical expertise on engineering and operational issues
- Adhere to Engineering Standards, specifications and, equipment manufacturer recommendations to support MSG initiatives
- Strong construction management skills.
- Strong construction procurement skills.
- Strong design skills.
- Ability to manage and influence subcontractors and consultants.
- Ability to identify the risks and rewards of capital projects.
- Ability to work on multiple contracts simultaneously.
- Strong team player with good relationship and networking skills.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- Highly motivated, flexible and enthusiastic attitude.
- Knowledge of US regulations (environmental), legislation, new technology and current trends impacting the water industry.
- Ability to work multiple fast pace projects or assignments with minimum direction.
- Effective management skills (e.g. planning, organizing, coordinating individual staff and teams).
- Understanding of construction procurement processes and construction management principles.
- Understanding of construction project scheduling, sequencing, and execution.
- Understanding of construction standards, materials, equipment, and installation procedures
- Over Five (5) years’ experience managing and implementing Capital Improvement Programs and construction projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Commensurate experience may be considered
- Minimal to no travel beyond local area
- Project management and development from office setting
- Some field inspection and evaluation required for local projects
- Professional Engineer License (PE) desired and/or Construction Management certifications preferred
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.