Engineering Project Manager (100921)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
Our Merrick, NY location has an excellent career opportunity for a Project Engineer to join our team in the delivery of water resource project within the local area.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Reporting to the Project Delivery Manager, this position is responsible for managing (through a team as appropriate) all activities concerned with the delivery of several medium to small capital investment projects from inception to completion, the size and importance of which have a significant impact to Company objectives related to Production, Networks, and/or other water resource or operations systems.Key Accountabilities
- Monitoring and managing budgets and schedules for several medium to small Capital Investment Projects and Programs.
- Driving efficiency into project delivery through the monitoring of delivery metrics and pursuit of more effective delivery and procurement approaches.
- Delivery of assigned Capital Projects in accordance with policies and procedures set for in the Capital Investment Management (CIM) system to meet asset needs.
- Asset Owner satisfaction in accordance with the scope of work agreed upon for each project.
- Interacts with Operations Team to ensure project delivery meets operations needs and is coordinated with operations personnel on operational impacts.
- Interaction with Technical Services function regarding standards and requirements.
- Ensures compliance with established regulatory criteria, specifications and standards.
- Interacts with property group, technical services, and other internal groups and external governmental agencies to coordinate land acquisition, easements, rights of ways, permits, certificates, and other project approvals for assigned projects and programs.
- Ensures that policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and approved objectives are adhered to and/or achieved.
- Pursues educational opportunities and professional development to enhance performance and contributions to the organization.
- Identifying, understanding and meeting customer expectations both internally and externally.
- Drives business performance by developing and contributing specific technical or professional knowledge, skills and experience.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and committment to working collaboratively to achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with a work group, and valuing individual perspectives and contributions.
- General knowledge of Engineering, Project Management and construction management practices related to planning, design, construction and operations for water resource management facilities, engineering and utility economics and contract administration and construction technology.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, water treatment, developer services and other related water resource management disciplines.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of company procedures, policies and operations.
- Knowledge of employee relations, applicable safety and environmental regulations, federal and state water quality and design regulations and technical standards.
- Strong project management skills (e.g., planning, organizing, directing, monitoring and reporting on project activities).
- Ability to effectively interact with colleagues, governmental agencies, consultants and the general public.
- Project planning skills. Good verbal and written communication skills (e.g., presentation, listening, report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills (tact/diplomacy, persuasion, cooperation and ability to motivate others)
- Computer literacy. Competent in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, flow-charting, project scheduling.
- Financial analysis skill, including budget management and basic accounting knowledge.
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and general business experience.
- Drives Performance - Setting clear, challenging, collaborative goals and expectations for people that are aligned with business objectives.
- Tracking and measuring progress, providing feedback and making adjustments as necessary.
- Delivers Results - Delivers bottom line results through bold, decisive actions, working through risks and uncertainty to create opportunity.
- Continually raises standards and promotes entrepreneurial behavior.
- Influencing - The ability to articulate an objective or idea in a compelling manner, so that others are persuaded to act on its merit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field.
- Minimum 7 years experience in project delivery of major water resources projects.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license preferred
- 20% Travel to support business requirements as necessary.
- 80% Office with occasional work in the field.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.