Distinguished Engineer - Systems Architecture ( 579655-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This is a leading technical position within the Technology & Product Development (TPD) group, in charge of driving improvements in the way TPD development teams interconnect with other teams across Global Network and Technology (GN&T) when developing new products, both from the systems point of view, as well as from the team interaction point of view. You will be mainly responsible for identifying pain points and areas of opportunity by reviewing current products being developed and the needs those have when linking with underlying IT and Network systems. You will lead the identification and will drive the implementation of improvements to our underlying systems that could result in a reduction of OpEx needed and/or identifying faster ways to develop and launch new products. As such, domain expertise on Verizon’s systems, from the development platforms used by the Product Development teams to the underlying systems used in IT and Network, is essential to succeed in this role.
One example is to work with the GTS North Star Architecture team to understand currently implemented APIs and their future roadmap, how to connect with them, and influence the GTS API roadmap based on an understanding of the features and capabilities that the TPD Product Dev require to accelerate New Product deliverables, resulting in efficiencies, revenue acceleration, and optimize the utilization of resources by leveraging what GTS has developed.
Another main aspect of the role is to quantify the monetary impact those identified improvements will have on both the reduction of OpEx needs and the reduction in time to market. You will lead the creation of the necessary Executive presentations for all initiatives proposed, with a clear understanding of the savings impact, to be able to justify the proposed changes and get approval from the different teams.
In this role, you will provide technical leadership across various internal technology groups and external teams, leveraging internal technology expertise, driving new ideas, and pushing the boundaries of GN&T processes to expand our savings. You will interact internally with Directors, EDs and VPs across Finance and GN&T.
The ideal candidate must have a strong drive to find optimization opportunities, and have extensive technical background with experience in analyzing how development is done, and deep understanding of the interconnection between product requirements, architecture, development, and network and IT platforms, to drive new efficiencies.
Key focus areas
- Provide technical leadership across various internal and external technology groups to bring new ideas on how to improve the way we work and the systems we use to be more efficient in support of TPDs Product development efforts.
- Have deep understanding of how other GN&T teams work and how the information of the systems they created is disseminated, to ensure TPD teams are always up-to-date on the latest changes.
- Work collaboratively with other GN&T teams to improve our internal processes and underlying platform.
- Lead the creation of the necessary financial reviews to reflect the monetary impact of the changes proposed.
- Identify clear impacts on time-to-market for any and all proposed changes.
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Four or more years of experience in technical field and/or process engineering.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Masters in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Relevant experience preferably in IT, Network, orProcess engineering, project management.
- Experience with budget planning and project management
- Demonstrated experience in building strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communications skills, as well as exceptional analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capability to be an effective communicator as the position is highly visible and requires frequent interaction with VPs and Directors across the Technology and partnering organizations.
- Demonstrated passion for identifying efficiencies and driving measurable business outcomes within a technical organization.
- Eight or more years of Wireless Network experience.
- Six or more years of leading large cost savings projects.
- Strong knowledge of computer technologies and architectures including IP, O/S, Database, NFV, Cloud and SDN.
- Experience with different types of connected devices, from smartphones to IoT devices, cars.
- Experience in both software and hardware development.
- Proven ability to summarize complex technology topics in simple terms.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Capability to be independent and self-motivated.
- Good knowledge of 5G and its main advantages.
- Experience in product design and development.
- Versed in networked systems and technologies.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.