Engineering Technician (Planner/Scheduler) Warren, PA
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Penelec, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [PN]
The Engineering Technician (Planner/Scheduler) conducts short-range planning and scheduling operational processes, analyzes results, and supports the implementation of process improvements coupled with maximizing operational productivity and efficiency associated with FirstEnergy’s work management system.
This position is located at the Warren Service Center in Warren, PA.
- Demonstrating and directing a solid commitment to all aspects of safety.
- Assisting in providing reliable support to operations supervision by planning and scheduling activities, managing the work queue, staffing, equipment, materials, tools, switching orders, permits, work package instructions, etc. required to operate, maintain and/or construct overhead/underground line facilities.
- Developing a firm two-week plan of assigned operations center activities, and a one-month projection of anticipated future activities providing management with a daily work plan and job contingency strategy.
- Assisting supervision in establishing work commitment dates and take steps to expedite projects when necessary and/or practical, as well as adjusting schedule daily due to changes in available resources and/or other external conditions.
- Reflecting lines employees crewing and vehicle assignments in CLICK and dispatch work daily to assigned crews.
- Utilizing CLICK to create the troubleman/serviceman schedule and assign work.
- Participating in interactions with internal/external customers on inquiries concerning construction and maintenance activities.
- Coordinating work request activities with the appropriate groups to establish job start and completion dates.
- Aiding in performing pre-construction work request assessments to facilitate optimal resource utilization.
- Ensuring UG Utility locates are completed (i.e., OUPS, PA ONE CALL, MISO Utility Tickets).
- Ensuring switching/hold offs are completed.
- Managing time and priorities, and updating management on work in progress, backlog of work, section productivity and all other applicable status updates.
- Assisting management by providing technical reports and metrics to ensure compliance with FirstEnergy practices and procedures. Interpreting report analysis and prepare recommendations based on analysis.
- Collaborating with Consolidated Planning regarding alignment between the actual work and the budgeted annual work plan, reviewing actual work hours vs forecasted and providing variance explanations and communicating areas requiring forecast adjustments.
- Following existing processes and improvement practices to develop and supporting appropriate documentation, communication, and training.
- Discussing work to be performed with operations team to address special needs, equipment, vehicles, flaggers, and review prints when necessary.
- Planning and scheduling accelerated/service work.
- Assisting during emergencies and storm-related activities and traveling to various off-site locations as well as FirstEnergy office locations, training facilities and customer sites, when requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology or related discipline and 0 to 6 years related work experience is required.
- In lieu of Bachelor’s Degree, minimum 2 to 7 years related work experience is required. Related work experience includes knowledge of planning/scheduling of work, construction and maintenance practices, procedures, work methods, materials, equipment, and tools which would be used to determine the resources necessary to perform construction and maintenance work activities.
- Have knowledge of National Electric Safety Code (NESC), National Electric Code (NEC), Customer Guide for Electric Services (CGES).
- Understands the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook and Manual of Operations and the practical application in the workplace.
- Self-motivated and able to balance competing priorities.
- Possess solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook), along with knowledge of SAP, geographical information system (GIS), customer request work scheduling (CREWS), CLICK, power outage reporting system (PowerOn), computer aided drafting (CAD/AutoCAD), and Energy Delivery Outage Application. Experience with database query tools.
- Possesses knowledge of the purpose, function, and operating characteristics of equipment, distribution design, residential, commercial, and utility electrical distribution systems, and construction methods, maintenance practices, service practices, standards, and procedures.
- Demonstrates an understanding and knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements as appropriate.
- Access to a personal vehicle to commute to various facilities and locations as required and possess a valid driver’s license
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team