Sr Engineering Technician (100817)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Sr. Engineering Technician is responsible for planning, design, engineering calculations and construction related to standard tasks for varying scope water resource
- Provide support services to Engineer and/or Engineering Manager for activities including planning functions, design, facility layout, cost estimates and/or basic engineering calculations.
- Assist on capital and maintenance projects, including preparation of contract documents, drawings and specifications.
- Prepare and maintain files, records, drawings, reports, budgets and other data related to engineering projects.
- Provide a full range of drawing production work including design and exhibits.
- Maintain CAD workstations, directories and archives.
- Perform field surveys to obtain measurements and/or stake easements and perform field inspections to insure standards are met and proper records are kept.
- Manage projects of limited scope or portions of larger scope projects under the supervision of the Engineering Manager.
- Correspond with other entities regarding the status of company facilities relative to their proposed improvements.
- Design subdivision layouts, including reviewing property records and location of mains.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply theoretical and practical engineering principles to perform basic engineering (hydraulic, mechanical, etc.) related functions.
- Knowledge of drafting/CAD techniques, design and engineering terminology.
- Knowledge of company standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of property (easement rights).
- Computer literacy including a major word processor program, spreadsheet, graphics and/or CAD.
- Ability to oversee and monitor construction work for adherence to project plans and specifications.
- Ability to work with minimal guidance on varied engineering planning, design and construction related assignments under the direction of an engineer or other supervisory personnel.
- Possess strong, detail oriented, analytical and conceptual skills with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret meets and bounds property descriptions.
- Minimum 5 years experience as an Engineering Technician or related experience.
- Associate's Degree or Technical School equivalent with course work in Drafting and Engineering required.
95% in an office environmentCompetencies Champions safetyCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer obsessedDrives ResultsNimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.