Engineer -Water/Wastewater (Early Career) (100479)
Indiana American Water Company seeks a professional and personable individual to serve as a Project Engineer in the Engineering Department as part of the capital improvement program. Indiana American Water Company owns and operates over 30 water and wastewater plants in the state and routinely delivers approximately $100M in capital improvements each year
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The duties require planning, design and project management skills for water treatment plant, water main, and wastewater treatment plant projects in the many communities that we serve in Indiana.
- Assist in the preparation of technical, bidding and contractual documents associated with delivery of capital investment projects. (20%)
- Manage multiple projects and perform varied engineering assignments associated with planning, design or construction. (30%)
- Ensure scope and quality of work achieve the intent of all Design Concepts and Company standards for capacity, performance, reliability, safety and regulatory compliance. (15%)
- Develops technical information and concepts into feasible and effective engineering approaches. (15%)
- Develop strategic and strong working relationships with engineering firms, vendors, and contractors. (10%)
- Provide technical expertise on engineering and operational issues. (10%)
- Supervises field and contract personnel to ensure timely completion of assignments, within budget andadherence to standards. Adhere to Engineering Standards, specifications and, equipment manufacturer recommendations to support Center of Excellence initiatives. Coordinate the pre-qualification and selection of consulting and construction organizations for projects using negotiation or competitive selection process. Establish project budget and cost. Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
- The successful candidate will have 1 to 3 years of related work experience, as well as possess outstanding organizational skills and be able to simultaneously manage multiple projects throughout the planning, design, construction and commissioning phases of the project.
- The project engineer must have outstanding technical and communication skills in order to work successfully with contractors, consultants, city representatives, permitting agencies and internal staff.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task; ability to work collaboratively as well as independently; and ability to perform quality control of the work product are preferred skills.
- Experience in the design of water and/or wastewater projects and experience in field construction are desired.
- The Engineer position fits within Engineering Grades 1 through 2.
- Minimum 1-3 years of relevant experience (we will consider relevant internships and project work experience)
- Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Engineering technology, preferably in Civil/Environment or a related disciple
- Knowledge of and interest in water/wastewater systems is a plus.
20%Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationDrives ResultsNimble learningCollaborates
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.