Logistics Sourcing Specialist (2208425)
Logistics Sourcing Specialist (Job Number: 2208425 )
This position can be based out of Dearborn MI or Beachwood OH
The Brokerage Sourcing Specialist is primarily responsible for developing & maintaining a portfolio of carriers and acting as the liaison between the carrier and Brokerage (PTMD) Operations. This position will identify and secure new carriers for existing customer lanes and new opportunities. They will support Penske Operations to coordinate with these carriers for rates, lane dedications, potential Request for Quote (RFQ)/Request for Proposal (RFP) responses and growth opportunities. The position will obtain and negotiate competitive and high profitability rates using data analysis, market/industry expertise and internal & external systems and tools. They will manage the capacity generation and growth of the Penske 3rd party carrier base. This position will also work with Penske Brokerage Operations to support resolution of any carrier issues that may arise This role will be the subject matter expert (SME) of the Penske Brokerage carrier base and is expected to regularly communicate and support motor carriers to build the business relationship and find growth opportunities with these carriers.
Sourcing Carrier Capacity:
- Strategizing with Penske Brokerage operations and management team to provide capacity solutions for current and prospective customers.
- Research new carriers in the market, generatei carrier leads and develop new carrier relationships. Drive carrier sourcing strategy that successfully allows the team to meet its monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals.
- Sourcing, qualifying, and adding carriers to the Penske network for existing and new business
- Ensure carriers understand Penske Brokerage operational expectations and requirements.
- Provide consistent and exceptional service l to new and contracted carriers
Carrier Negotiations & Pricing:
- Negotiate freight rates with motor carriers using data analysis, market/industry expertise and internal and/or external systems and tools to meet margin requirements and deliver high margins back to Penske Brokerage
Provide impactful recommendations to internal operations/sales team that ensure maximum profitability for the customers
- Identify services and pricing that meet customer needs to meet Penske and customer business objectives.
- Stay current with market trends and seasonality in the freight industry andrespond to capacity related challenges by presenting viable solutions to Penske Brokerage operations teams.
- Use discretion and independent judgment when compiling rates, RFP’s and when working with operations and sales requests
- Analyze current and historical lane level data to find capacity and negotiate pricing in order to support freight shipping needs of Penske customers in specific geographical areas/markets
- Evaluate customer trends, market constraints and seasonality factors in order to provide recommendations on carrier selection, rates and shipping efficiency
- Analyze current carrier pricing and service levels to provide recommendations to operations to make alternate carrier selections for service improvement
- Determine when carrier pricing is shifting or needs re-negotiated and reviewed with the carrier based on load or lane level analysis.
- Support development of carrier analytics and assist with presenting key trends and proposals during carrier or customer Quarterly Business Review (QBR)
Carrier Management/ Carrier Relations:
- Develop and maintain carrier relationships in order to effectively support Penske customers
- Regularly communicate, engage and support motor carriers to build the business relationship and find growth opportunities with these carriers.
- Treat carriers as our customers and promote an engaging relationship that makes the carriers want to continue to partner with Penske.
- Support operations team in addressing operational issues or service failures and engaging directly with the carriers as proactively as possible. Monitor service improvement in order to make decisions to retain or remove carrier from Penske Brokerage carrier portfolio, with the support of Penske Brokerage leadership.
- Participate in QBRs or carrier appreciation events with the Manager of Carrier Relations/sourcing team.
- High School diploma or equivalent required, Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Two (2) plus years of sourcing/sales experience with a transaction oriented brokerage, or other related business required.
- Inside sales or customer service experience in a business-to-business environment.
- Successful track record of building relationships with stakeholders or customers that have resulted in high customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of US traffic lanes, equipment types and various modes (air, ocean, truck, trailer, TL, LTL) preferred
- Must have strong analytical and presentation skills, written/oral communication and organizational skills.
- Prior experience with Mercury Gate and RMIS preferred but not required
- Must be skilled in the operation of MS Office software programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be able to work with other departments to increase overall productivity for the company.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with a sense of urgency while maintaining a high degree of accuracy required.
- Must have strong negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a high degree of enthusiasm, professionalism and motivation
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location as required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.
Work Locations :15041 S Commerce Drive 15041 S Commerce DriveSuite 400
Dearborn, MI 48120
Primary Location : United States-Michigan-Dearborn
Job : Logistics/Supply Chain
Req ID: 2208425