Specialist Application Support / Developer (94990)
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Pursuant to the Government of Canada's mandate that all federally-regulated employers require their employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, CP requires all prospective employees to confirm their vaccination status, as part of the hiring process and as a condition of continued employment.
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- % of Travel: [[travel]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Job Grade: [[jobGrade]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Canadian Pacific maintains many Oracle databases, constructed for managing data between CP’s strategic and enterprise applications through common and shared data management services and processes. These production environments gather, massage and present data to multiple interfaces and operational application systems, which ultimately contribute to the organization's ability to achieve its business goals.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES: (including but not limited to)
- Provides business users with an application support and development service focus
- Provides On-call support rotation for production environments in a 24 X 7 schedule.
- Monitors, troubleshoots, analyzes and resolves data, database and application issues within the Oracle test and/or production environments.
- Manages and resolves bug fixes or service tickets from business and/or incident requests, within current Service Level Agreements.
- Ensures adherence to best practices for application enhancements and support including complex impact or systems analysis; ensures adoption and adherence to defined support processes (e.g. incident management, request management, change management, etc.), and ensures the operating efficiency of existing application systems.
- Reviews, analyzes, and designs/modifies programming systems, including encoding, testing (unit, system, acceptance, creation and execution), debugging and installing up to and including a large-scale system.
- Conducts quality reviews of designs, solutions and implementations including documentation, knowledge transfer and revisions.
- Ensures that systems are developed/tested to meet business requirements and specifications.
- Drives the resolution and troubleshooting of issues during development and post production support.
- Provides daily and occasional weekend support for various activities including: application releases, disaster recovery, database and o/s upgrades and application patching.
- Performs complex source code development.
- Develops complex test cases/scripts.
- Provides consultation to Application Support/Developers in SQL coding and tuning, and coding and deployment of scripts and stored procedures
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 6+ years’ experience with diagnosing, isolating and debugging software problems, including PL/SQL package/procedures based programming for data conversions and application development/maintenance.
- 6+ years’ of practical experience using a variety of programming languages, databases and environments.
- Proven experience with the following technologies is required:
- SQL, PL/SQL
- C / Pro C development
- Oracle 18c/19c
- Unix and Linux operating systems
- Scripting languages such as Shell, Windows Batch and Python
- Microsoft Web development ASP.Net 3.5, IIS 6
- Java REST API development
- AWS Cloud development
- Messaging technologies (IBM MQ Series preferred)
- Asset skills include
- Windows Server, ASP.NET, IIS, Geomap GIS, Autodesk Mapguide, SQL Server, JIRA, TeamCity, GIT, HP ALM, Java REST API, AWS Cloud Development
- Oracle Data Modelling and Architecting
- Experience with usability testing methodologies, platform standards, software development process/life cycle
- Good communicative skills, sensitive to semantics and ability to discuss work requests and projects using high-level, non-technical terms. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups or managers, clients, customers.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented collaborative environment with the ability to understand both technical intricacies and also see the big picture ramifications. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Non-standard hours and or extended work hours can be expected due to user/project requirements and/or deadlines, system or user issues as well as workload backlog. Effective management of time between standard and non-standard hours is required to ensure availability and services are optimal.
- Constructive collaboration and establishing positive relations with support groups is essential to ensuring maximum uptime and minimum downtime for applications in adhering to Service Level Agreements.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal History Check
- Reference Check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").