Engineer III - Transport Equipment Engineer ( 601758-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Define, engineer, and resolve network capacity requirements for Verizon's long haul and metro transport network utilizing high capacity next generation light wave and wave division multiplexing technologies to meet network services capacity, vulnerability, diversity, and growth requirements.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Perform detailed equipment engineering for network augments. This includes developing all of the specifications required for installation forces to properly install, turn-up, inventory, and configure the equipment, obtaining appropriate management approvals, issuing purchase orders, creating applicable diagrams/ drawings, and ensuring vendor delivery.
- Ensure that work meets all applicable engineering, financial, planning, and operational standards.
- Develop Bill of Material and place orders for network equipment, rack, and hardware requirements.
- Define cable requirements, create cable running lists, and order all cables.
- Order all spares required based on sparing plan or directed by capacity management.
- Manage, input, and update central Network Inventory Database (i.e. ICON, Nautilus, CoFEE) to reflect new builds, adds, and decommissions.
Where you will be working:
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six years of progressive, technical experience.
- Experience in Equipment Engineering and/or Transport Engineering, Installation, Implementation.
- ExperienceTesting in one (or more) of the following Transport technologies: Ciena, Nortel, Fujitsu, Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent SONET and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) equipment platforms.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in engineering, networking, computer, telecommunications or equivalent job-related experience.
- Experience in PON, NGPON2, FiOS and FTTP.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suites and drawing complex system diagrams using CAD-based software like Microsoft Visio.
- Inside Plant Engineers (ISP) with ICON experience.
- Able to work well with others (as a team) and individually (on your own projects) with a positive attitude.
- Communication skills and the ability to multitask.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).