Release of Information Specialist - Work from Home (112219964)
$2,000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
Our office is located at 4773 State Highway 28 Cooperstown, NY 13326. Employees will be required to work 3 days onsite and 2 days from home.
Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
The Release of Information Specialist will perform professional Health Information Management services by collecting, maintaining, and making available to authorized users/requestors patient protected health information (PHI).
Duties include: positive customer service via telephone and in person, receipt and verification of appropriate signed releases, retrieval, copying, printing and preparation of paper and electronic documents from various media formats, to ensure appropriate and timely release of information requests are met.
The ROI Specialist must timely and accurately process complex medical record requests received from multiple customers, problem solve for customers regarding release regulations and statuses, as well as utilize policies and procedures to ensure that all tasks related to release of information (ROI) of the patient’s legal medical record are done in accordance with HIPAA, NYSDOH regulations and JCAHO standards. You will provide a positive image for the department as well as train new Health Information Management Technicians entering the department as well as other Bassett Healthcare employees such as providers, secretaries and registration staff.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday - Friday. Employees are required to work our normal business hours of 8:00am – 4:30pm EST, or the flexibility to work 8:30am- 5:00pm EST. This position is located at 4773 State Highway 28 Cooperstown, NY 13326. There is an opportunity to work from home a couple of days a week after a few months within this position.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
1) Receives, processes, and monitors all requests for medical information according to state and HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Processes urgent requests for medical information received via mail, fax, in person, or by phone, monitored by manager utilizing reports and observation.
- Requests for medical records will be logged into the release and updated as necessary as evidenced by feedback and management observation.
- Faxes necessary medical record information to requestors where patient is waiting within 15-20 minutes as monitored by feedback from clinical staff. (ASAP)
- Notifies physician of sensitive patient access requests within 24-36 hours of receipt as observed by manager and monitored by reports.
- Completes regular release of information requests within 6-8 days of receipt monitored by reports and feedback from customers, patients, co-workers, and other hospital staff members.
- Releases minimal requested medical information necessary to fulfill requests based on feedback from patients, customers, and other hospital staff members. Accurate completion of medical information requested.
- Ensures that medical information is not released without a valid authorization except for payment, treatment, or healthcare operations as noted by the release filed in the patient’s medical record and random monthly quality check by manager.
- Processes RAC requests within 24-48 hours of receipt to avoid a technical denial.
- Handles subpoena, court orders, and Risk Management requests within 24-48 hours of receipt as evidenced by reports and feedback from customers, patients, co-workers, and management.
- Has ability to certify medical records as requested for subpoenas, Risk Management, and others based on observation and feedback from customers.
- Schedules and processes requests for outside reviewers’ work queue and works with manager to set up temporary work queue for reviewer and/or prints records for review by outside agency/reviewer.
- Cross-train in order to provide back up support in the absence/vacancies of team members and/or other HIM personnel as requested by HIM managers.
- Participate in educational programs and in-service meetings as noted by Management.
- Process STAT inpatient denial stays to insurance companies for determination of length of stay.
- Process Inpatient Psych charts for court for “leaving against medical advice.”
- Consistently ensures information known about the Customer is kept private and confidential as observed by management and feedback from other staff and/or patients.
- Complies with all privacy (HIPAA) regulations and adheres to Bassett’s confidentiality policies. Success is monitored by management through feedback from co-workers and/or patients.
- Answers phone within 3-4 rings, screens, and routes telephone calls relaying messages as appropriate based on observation, co-worker, and customer feedback.
2) Performs similar or related duties as requested or directed
- Performs other duties as requested and observed by manager or supervisor
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 1+ years of work experience in any field
- Microsoft Word (create and edit documents)
- Microsoft Outlook (create and send emails)
- Ability to work full-time, Monday - Friday between 8:00am – 5:00pm EST including the flexibility to work occasional overtime given the business need
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- 1+ years of customer service work experience
- Reside within 4773 State Highway 28 Cooperstown, NY 13326
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- Position requires sitting or standing for extended periods, copying, filing, keyboarding, and PC work
- Must be able to lift objects up to 50 pounds
- Able to perform routine printer, copier, and fax maintenance; i.e., changing toner, clearing paper jams.
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: #RPO, #YELLOW