Senior Specialist, Procurement
Our Sourcing team works to ensure the efficient acquisition of goods and services that enables the commercialization of our medicines, vaccines and Animal Health products. We collaborate internationally and are grouped into center-led categories and regional operating teams.
The Research & Development, Sr. Procurement Specialist serves as a member of the Global Supplier Management group. The Sr. Procurement Specialist will collaborate with the Research and Development category leaders and business partners on procurement execution in support of category strategy development and acts as a primary relationship manager responsible for supplier relationship management, contract negotiation and management, global strategic sourcing, and project management.
The Sr. Procurement Specialist, will own and drive the implementation of high-value and highly complex sourcing projects and contracts; and identify supply optimization opportunities for speed-to-market, innovation, revenue enhancement, mitigated risk/improved lifecycle management, overall competitive cost advantage, and other sources of value for our Company Animal Health business.
Duties and Responsibilities Includes:
- Participate in supplier management activities in close collaboration with the business stakeholders involving key preferred suppliers, using the Supplier Management methodology, developing metrics for supplier performance, (potentially) conducting supplier visits and evaluations to determine capability, alignment, and capacity
- Compliance and Risk Management: Responsible for compliance and risk management with an assigned set of external supplier base.
- Supports the development, recommendation and implementation of Research and Development sourcing strategies and ensures alignment, compliance, and delivery of business requirements/needs.
- Leads Research and Development sourcing projects (using an established sourcing management process) to establish sourcing via market intelligence gathering and analysis, competitive sourcing events (RFIs, RFP/RFQs), costs analyses, strategic analyses, due diligence/compliance assessments, and contract negotiations.
- Proactive Cost Management: Leads development, negotiation, and implementation of cost savings projects and multi-year supply agreements.
- Responsible to create detailed pre-negotiation plans, to lead and participate in any prolonged negotiation sessions with suppliers, and to conduct post-negotiation debriefs and follow-through plans.
- Partner closely with supporting functions (Cybersecurity / IT, Data Privacy, Quality, etc.) in addition to legal for contract negotiations
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 2-5 years of combined work experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations, purchasing strategies, business operations, and finance and a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, or a similar field; Or:
- High School diploma or equivalent and 8-10 years of combined work experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations, purchasing strategies, business operations, and finance - within the Life Science Industry
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration, negotiation, analytical, and project management skills
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Excel- pivot tables)
- Supplier and stakeholder management
- Knowledge of SAP, Ariba, and use of Business Intelligence analytics tools
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico – Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) (“Customer-Facing Role”) who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under New York City, Washington State and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate’s relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:$88,480.00 - $139,100.00
For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Hybrid
Valid Driving License:Yes
Number of Openings:1