Heavy Equipment Worker (HET)
Work Where it Matters
Akima Facilities Operations (AFO), an Akima company, is not just another federal facilities contractor. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), our mission and purpose extend beyond our exciting federal projects as we support our shareholder communities in Alaska.
At AFO, the work you do every day makes a difference in the lives of our 15,000 Iñupiat shareholders, a group of Alaska natives from one of the most remote and harshest environments in the United States.
For our shareholders , AFO provides support and employment opportunities and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years.
For our government customers , AFO sustains mission readiness and ensures quality of life by maintaining high value assets and operations at peak performance and successfully manages these operations through accurately forecasting, managing, and aggressively controlling costs.
As an AFO employee , you will be surrounded by a challenging, yet supportive work environment that is committed to innovation and diversity, two of our most important values. You will also have access to our comprehensive benefits and competitive pay in addition to growth opportunities and excellent retirement options.
The Heavy Equipment Worker performs a variety of minor repairs and services to assist in the maintenance of Heavy Equipment vehicles. The Heavy Equipment Worker checks and replaces batteries, rotates, repairs, and replaces tires, cleans interiors and exteriors of vehicles, drains, flushes, and replaces engine, transmission, and differential grease and oils, checks and replaces oil and air filters. The Heavy Equipment Worker assists in the adjustment of brakes, replaces windshield wipers, and similar minor parts, assists on major overhaul jobs by disassembling and cleaning parts, repairing components such as generators and water pumps, and replacing thermostats, points, electrical wiring and other items, maintains tools and equipment, and cleans work areas.
- Assists in the maintenance and repairs on equipment as prescribed in the equipment Technical Manuals (TM’s) with the direction of a supervisor or a Heavy Equipment Mechanic.
- Washes, cleans the interior and exteriors of vehicles. Drains and flushes fluid systems as required. Assists the mechanic in repairing and replacing engines, transmissions, differential gear cases, and other vehicle components as required.
- Checks and replaces all lubricants in accordance with the appropriate technical manual/lubrication order. Checks, cleans, and replaces parts as needed. Cleans and replaces oil and air filters. Adjusts brakes, replaces windshield wipers and similar minor parts and repairs.
- Assist the mechanic with replacing components, such as generators, water pumps, radiators, and other unserviceable parts.
- Must be capable of lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling loads up to 50 lbs. Must be able to climb, crawl, stoop, bend, squat, and reach as required to work on equipment.
- Must be able to perform work outdoors during or in during inclement weather conditions.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident with verbal and written fluency in the English language.
- Must be able clear a pre-employment background and security investigation which includes a drugs/alcohol screening.
- Employee is required to maintain a valid state-issued Driver’s license and applicable Government/Army license.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense Common Access Card.
- According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the mechanics MUST have their own equipment/tools (to include coveralls).
- The ideal candidate has completed prerequisite training for Army Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) 91B1O/2O and served as a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic in the grade of E3 – E5 or have equivalent training and 4 cumulative years of maintenance experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law. If you are an individual with a disability, and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or [Register to View] (information about job applications status is not available at this contact information).
Job: Maintenance & Repair
Clearance: Not Applicable
Shift: Day Job
Work Type: On-Site
Req ID: AFO00198