Executive Director, Commercial Development
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Executive Director, Commercial Development will serve as the leader accountable for maximizing the value of the pipeline across Immunology, Fibrosis, and Neurology. This position is responsible for leading a team of marketers to develop and execute strategies for approximately 20 early and late-stage pipeline products from Discovery to Phase 3, across the Rheumatology, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Fibrosis, and Neurology disease areas. The portfolio covers over 20 different diseases across a broad range of customer specialties.
This role will ensure commercial leadership for pipeline products, partnering closely with Development, Medical, Regulatory, CMC, Commercial, and Project Leadership to optimize overall development strategy, brand development, and market preparation for pipeline assets. This position will also work closely with key markets, Business Insights & Analytics (BI&A) and Value, Access & Pricing (VAP) to ensure appropriate input on product development decisions, leveraging insights and enabling effective implementation of strategy.
(S)he will optimize the value of the franchise beyond the current pipeline to identify areas for growth, seeking opportunities within and beyond the organization to add value to long term plans. This position will also serve as the representative for pipeline products to senior leadership.
In addition to development strategy, this person will lead the team to establish strategic platforms for the optimization of early and late-stage pipeline products to meet future market needs and to prepare markets for launch. Develops scientific branding and brand development to enable effective communications with customers and works with medical colleagues to develop relationships with key external stakeholders. The leader will develop relationships with patient advocacy organizations, medical societies and thought leaders within the defined spaces.
The position will also develop the long-range plan for the portfolio of assets and partner to initiate the buildout of a corporate presence in support of relevant products in development. Leads life cycle plan development to optimize assets for the overall value of the brand. The leader will work with teams to ensure transfer of development assets into commercial teams as needed and will guide products through successful transition for key stage gates.
This position will also build and improve organizational standards and capabilities to drive asset optimization and to ensure senior leadership is informed and supportive of brand strategies. They will improve operating systems and business processes to enable faster, more innovative, and optimized solutions for pipeline brands.
The leader must be able to operate in a fast-paced organization, with high expectations and accountability on quality of deliverables and ability to create an energizing, inclusive culture. Team leadership with a focus on team strategy setting and motivation, career development, ensuring high value deliverables, and attracting and retaining high potential teams. Domestic and International travel required (~20%).
- Leads the worldwide brand planning for the pipeline across marketing, medical, and access, and development of long-range forecasts for assets in Immunology, Fibrosis and Neuroscience
- Ensures comprehensive assessments of competitive data and events, assesses emerging trends that could impact brands, and identifies implications and integrates into brand strategy and plans
- Translates new brand evidence into brand strategy to maximize opportunities in driving appropriate patient usage
- Partners with opinion leaders, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders, external agencies and vendors to reinforce BMS’s commitment in key therapeutic areas
- Partners with WW Value, Access, and Pricing team to ensure optimized access and uptake at launch through designing optimized development strategies to meet future market needs
- Builds a deep understanding of local market dynamics, including customer and competitive insights, and identifies growth opportunities to drive global development and launch
- Strong leader and developer of talent, with management of several direct reports
Qualifications & Experience
- BA/BS required; life sciences degree or equivalent desirable. MBA / graduate degree highly preferred. At least 10 years of progressive industry experience with a proven track record of success across products in various stages of development, from pipeline to launch to in-market.
- US and Global experience preferred.
- Functional experience within Immunology, Fibrosis or Neurology strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated scientific acumen. Strong understanding of drug development processes and regulatory pathways, product design, new product evaluation.
- Thorough understanding of commercial aspects of drug development including global/country market dynamics, operational feasibility, market access, patient advocacy, regulatory and reimbursement challenges across both domestic and international markets
- Collaborates across the organization to incorporate the needs of internal and external stakeholders in the commercial planning process
- Demonstrated marketing leadership experience
- Ability to critically assess opportunities with disciplined thinking to determine what is best for patients and our business, and to influence / build alignment with stakeholders
- Strong financial acumen with the ability to assimilate complex information to create and manage budgets and meet financial targets
- Demonstrated ability to build and improve internal systems and processes that are aligned to organizational priorities
- Proven track record demonstrating breadth and depth of experience across marketing competencies and exemplary achievement of performance objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategically, communicating with impact, and creating a strong, inclusive, energizing culture consistent with BMS values
- Experience in mobilizing matrix team members, embracing teamwork within a cross-functional environment
- Prior people management experience with focus on developing team members to be their best and achieve their goals
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.