Executive Director, Mergers & Acquisitions
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Executive Director, Mergers & Acquisitions will possess strong business acumen with extensive experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry. This individual will lead all active surveillance and M&A target prioritization/evaluation activities, and will be a key member on M&A deal teams. A deep understanding of the M&A process in the industry is required. This individual is required to have strong interpersonal skills as they will work with multiple senior internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible and time-sensitive corporate development projects. Furthermore, this individual will provide M&A support in identifying M&A targets and performing strategic and commercial assessments of M&A opportunities, collaborating with other business units to perform due diligence and valuation, and managing the M&A process in support of BMS strategy and objectives.
- Demonstrate business acumen while collaborating closely with internal business development search and evaluation (S&E), R&D, Finance, and Commercial stakeholders as well as external advisors
- Support deal teams to negotiate, contract, and execute complex deals
- Facilitate structuring, negotiating, and executing complex M&A and other strategic transactions to successful completion
- Lead the active monitoring and surveillance work on a broad set of M&A target priorities
- Support formulation of M&A strategy to drive towards enterprise goals and objectives
- Efficiently lead cross-functional team meetings and communicate updates to leadership
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas, and minutes for various BD related M&A teams as needed
- Participate as needed in BD external partnering events (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.) and relevant technical / scientific meetings, including preparing materials such as presentations, FAQ and related documents
- Support the M&A deal process:
- Support project team interactions with functional representatives, including those from third parties (i.e., bankers, lawyers, accountants, buyers, and consultants, etc.)
- Provide insights to the commercial and financial evaluation process, assumptions, and outputs
- Lead and manage the development, drafting, and execution of project team deliverables and recommendations
- Ensure robustness of the overall M&A process and complete M&As under sensitive timelines
- Support the delivery of business assessments and recommendations of external M&A opportunities, including deal proposals, valuation, deal status, and key issues of the transaction to BMS governance bodies for endorsement
- Articulate, advocate, and present M&A opportunities, company profiles and summaries, including scientific, commercial, and financial value drivers
- Assist in negotiating and communicate key deal issues, risks, and updates to leadership and senior internal stakeholders, including collaborating with Transaction Legal in drafting and revision of contracts
- Present to senior internal and external stakeholders
- Manage and coach direct reports
Qualifications & Experience
- MBA, JD, or other advanced business degree preferred
- Minimum 8 years of experience within Pharma and Biotech and minimum of 6 years of relevant M&A, or business development deals resulting in at least a few significant closed deals (e.g., sourcing, managing, and executing complex M&A / business development transactions)
- Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk analyses, and company valuations; strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques. Able to integrate scientific knowledge into business model
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence
- Experienced in Pharma M&A
- Strong knowledge of pharmaceutical industry issues, trends, and their business impact
- Good understanding of the drug development, approval, and commercialization process
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills
- Able to communicate effectively with senior management internally and externally
- Ability to develop deal structures and working knowledge of industry deal trends
- Support the M&A team on all aspects of major deals
- Competence in reviewing and editing contracts and providing direction to Legal in term sheets and contracts
- Ability to influence analysis undertaken by other functions
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner
- Works well with and exerts influence on multi-disciplinary teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional collaboration
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.