Executive Medical Dir, US Medical Program Head, Derm & Rheum
Executive Medical Dir, US Medical Program Head, Derm & Rheum
Feb 02, 2024
About the Role
To lead the US Dermatology and Rheumatology Medical Affairs team within the Immunology Therapeutic Area.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• US Medical Affairs Strategic Leadership - Co-lead US Dermatology and Rheumatology strategy for a multi-blockbuster product with ongoing indication launches and development trials. Partner and align with US and Global stakeholders (Global Medical Affairs, Clinical De-velopment, Product Team and Commercial).
• US Medical Affairs Tactical Execution – Oversee Medical tactical execution, including US clinical trial recruitment. Manage day-to-day team operations. Ensure excellence in execution, including accountabilities for timeliness and effective budget management.
• External Engagement - Serve as the external voice of US Dermatology and Rheumatology at Novartis. Drive external partnerships with Medical Experts, Investigators, Professional So-cieties, Organized Providers, etc.
• US Clinical Trial Recruitment - Identify and solve for barriers to successful US clinical trial recruitment for new indications, working in coordination with US Clinical Operations, Field Medical, and other key stakeholders.
• Organizational Leadership - Drive changes in ways of working per recent organizational changes, including new CoE structures. Serve as the voice of US Dermatology and Rheuma-tology Medical Affairs within Novartis, including interactions with Medical and Commercial senior leadership. Anticipate and proactively solve for organizational and business needs, aligning with key stakeholders.
• Health Economics & Outcomes Research – Develop strong understanding of pay-er/systems needs for compelling health outcomes and real-world evidence (RWE) to support reimbursement/access for patients. Support data generation and external engagement to ad-dress those needs.
• Business Development & Licensing/New Products - Serve as the primary US Medical Af-fairs point of contact for Dermatology and Rheumatology BD&L opportunities.
• Develop Talent/Build Culture - Serve as core member of the US Immunology Medical Af-fairs Leadership Team. Create deep talent pipeline by identifying, attracting and developing a best-in-class US Medical Affairs team. Coach and build technical and leadership skills among team members, in line with Novartis Leadership aspiration. Cultivate an inclusive, high-performance environment that values and leverages diversity of thinking, style and experiences.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $284,000.00 and $426,000.00 per year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/24 through 12/31/24, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Bachelors or equivalent 4-Year University Degree required
• Doctorate level degree (MD, PharmD, DO, or PhD in Biolog-ical Sciences or related field) required.
• Medical Degree (MD) or equivalent preferred
• Completion of residency in Rheumatology and Board Certification preferred
>12 years’ experience in progressively senior roles within clinical development and/or medical affairs roles in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry or academic institution/clinical practice
> 3 years’ prior People management/team leadership experience is preferred
Prior US experience is required
US launch experience strongly preferred
Established relationships in the US Dermatology and/or Rheumatology community preferred.
Strong knowledge of Dermatologic and/or Rheumato-logic disease and treatments preferred.
Clinical research experience – including concept and protocol development – conducted in a pharmaceutical or equivalent environment is strongly preferred.
Solid understanding of clinical trial operations and ex-perience driving US site identification and patient re-cruitment solutions, is strongly preferred.
Strong track record of positive, productive interactions with US Medical Experts and Investigators.
U.S. and European travel required. (30-35% annually, up to 40% seasonally)
Location is flexible, but ideally in East Hanover
Why Novartis?766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 [Register to View] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
East Hanover, NJ
Company / Legal Entity
Research & Development