Executive Director, GMAC Medical Operations Lead ( MERCUSR115359ENUS)
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a compound that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
- The Executive Director, Medical Operations Lead (ED Med Ops Lead) is a leadership role within Global Medical Affairs Capabilities (GMAC) in Global Medical and Scientific Affairs (GMSA) that reports directly to the Assistant Vice President, GMAC Lead. The ED Med Ops Lead is an integral member of the GMAC Leadership Team providing insight and advice on strategic direction and is accountable for assisting and driving execution of the vision of GMAC and Medical Operations.
- The ED Med Ops Lead leads several core GMSA global initiatives, including, but not limited to 1) Ensuring Medical Operations support to further develop and maintain a highly functioning GMSA organization, 2) Taking responsibility for GMSA Medical Strategic Support, including Communications, Internal Meeting Planning and Financial Stewardship, Process and Systems, Innovation and Emerging Projects, Standards Alignment, Business Intelligence Collection and Reporting, Designated Points of Contact (DPOC) Intake Processes, Patient Access Programs, and Knowledge Management and Strategy, and 3) Collaborating with the Regional and Country Medical Operations teams and Hub Operation Leads (with dotted line reporting to the ED Med Ops Lead).
Responsibilities and Primary Activities:
- Manages people and builds optimal teams and talent
- Understands the mission and vision of GMSA as a science-driven and patient-committed organization
- Manages, leads, and supports professional development of GMSA Medical Operations team
- Stays current with key initiatives across GMSA Medical Operations and supports fellow leadership colleagues and their teams in achieving deliverables against organizational priorities
- Understands and executes end-to-end people and performance-management activities (e.g., mid- and year-end reviews, ongoing feedback, talent management, succession planning, recruitment, retention)
- Oversees complex initiatives with global scope and impact aligned with key GMAC Medical Operations priorities
- Collaborates with GMAC Medical Operations and other GMAC colleagues to ensure alignment across the broader organization
- Partners with leadership team members across GMSA, Global Clinical Development, Research & Development, and our Company to define operational efficiencies
- Presents ongoing strategic project updates at GMSA leadership team meetings as well as at other relevant forums (e.g., Summits, Townhalls, Operations Reviews, Priority Project meetings)
- Exhibits executive presence, deep subject matter expertise, and strong business acumen
- Optimizes Medical Operations resources and financial plans to ensure link to strategically aligned and prioritized investments
- Monitors Medical Operations initiatives to ensure adequate resourcing and timely execution
- Identifies overlapping initiatives and if needed, aligns/stops activities to ensure efficient use of resources
- Oversees Medical Operations initiatives and communicates status to senior management on a regular basis
- Works closely with Medical Operations Leadership Team (LT) to optimize existing processes and systems
- Understands the current state of complex processes and distills the action items to address key gaps
- Defines the optimal future state processes and supporting systems and activates teams to develop detailed project plans to achieve the optimal future state
- Implements standardized and harmonized processes
- Ensures alignment among Medical Operations, GMAC, and key stakeholder functions (Human Health, Research & Development, Compliance, Legal, Finance, etc.) to achieve our collective goals
- Partners with GMAC Lead for activities essential to GMAC and GMSA success
- Collaborates with GMAC finance/HR teams on budgetary/headcount management to drive to annual targets
- Instills a culture of best practice and knowledge sharing
- Supports Regional, Country and Hub Operations teams to ensure alignment with Global Medical Operations and other regions
- Shares ideas/best practices and drives alignment across teams, including regional initiatives and activities that might be evaluated for global rollout
- Is accountable for Medical Operations team performance management, organizational talent review and development, and succession planning for the Medical Operations members
- Supports all members of the Medical Operations team in building even higher levels of ownership, commitment, and employee engagement
- PharmD/PhD/MD plus 10+ years of relevant experience, OR
- MS degree in life sciences plus 15+ years of relevant experience, OR
- BS degree in life sciences plus 20+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead, organize, coordinate, and execute on multiple concurrent, global, and complex projects
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Effective, versatile, and action-oriented approach
- Demonstrated experience in identifying process gaps and building new processes
- Extensive experience managing people and ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong business and financial acumen and a customer focus
- Demonstrated ability to innovate with practical solutions for complex issues
- Demonstrated strong decision-making skills and ability to weigh advantages, disadvantages, and business impact for rapid decisions
- Ability to exercise influence over a continuum of stakeholders and a proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management
- Strong personal integrity and high ethical standards
- High level of familiarity with a broad range of compliance areas and ability to assess risk and develop solutions
- A thorough understanding of ethical guidelines relevant to the pharmaceutical industry to ensure compliance with external and internal guidelines and standard operating procedures
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1