Executive Director, Cross Divisional Data and Analytics, Data Governance & Risk Technologies ( MERCUSR117961ENUS)
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
The Foundational Data and Analytics (fDnA) organization in our Company has a mission “To establish a world class data and analytics ecosystem for our data practitioners by building easy to use and highly valued products and services”. A critical part of this mission is to enhance data governance, privacy and compliance practices with an intent to increase value from data and leverage these practices along with foundational Data and Analytics (DnA) products and services to enable high value business outcomes.
Working with the DnA leaders in the Divisions and Divisional IT, IT Risk Management & Security (ITRMS), the Global Privacy and Compliance offices, this role will lead a talented team and be accountable for the evolution of good data Governance, data privacy and data risk practices and translating these into technology implementation plans and execution. Additionally this role will also be accountable for Fortify DnA, a large cross divisional Data and Analytics program.
As a member for the Foundational DnA leadership team, the incumbent will:
- Establish a strong network and partnership with divisional IT and divisional DnA leaders and practitioners to understand high value business outcomes that could be enabled by DnA (Fortify and cross-divisional DnA use cases).
- Work with the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) and ITRMS and the Global Privacy office to understand enterprise data privacy and risk postures, data governance, privacy and risk practices, translate policy into technology implementation plans and required tools.
- Work with senior business and IT leaders to establish and orchestrate data privacy, data risk management and data governance capabilities enabled through technology.
- Fortify Data and Analytics is a branded program that focuses on high-value, cross divisional business use cases that will be enabled by Data and Analytics capabilities. These programs are high visibility, high value programs that span Research & Development, Manufacturing and the Commercial organizations. This role will be accountable for the definition and execution of the Fortify DnA use cases and work with business and IT leaders to ensure value realization from these investments, including the creation of reusable Data and Analytics capabilities.
- Working with the Global Head of fDnA , translate the Vision and Mission of fDnA into an action plan and in partnership with other members of Foundational DnA team and broader IT, execute on the action plan to get to desired outcomes.
- Working closely with the Program Management team, this role will be the fDnA lead on the development, prioritization and tracking of value for the fDnA Investment portfolio. Additionally, this role will represent the voice of the customer to the Foundational DnA team including monitoring of the Net Promoter Score.
A successful candidate in this position will have a significant opportunity to increase the value of the data we own and will have big impact on data driven culture within the organization.
- Define and establish a strong senior stakeholder network in divisional IT, Business divisions to collaborate on enabling business value leveraging data and analytics
- Leverage this network to identify key DnA enabled business outcomes, including DnA solutions needed to support these outcomes and the underlying data needs including data governance, stewardship, quality, compliance and privacy needs
- In collaboration with Data Privacy office, the CISO and ITRMS and senior leaders owning data, define data governance, privacy and compliance practices that help us achieve our business outcomes
- Work with senior leadership to establish, drive and orchestrate data governance and stewardship capabilities and best practices in support of business outcomes
- Define digital products and services necessary to support the function of data governance and stewardship capabilities, including data quality, context, access and privacy including Policy based Entitlements and technology enabled access rights.
- Partner with other members of Foundational DnA LT and broader CTO organization to build and deploy the digital products and services to support data governance and stewardship
- Help define OKRs for data governance function as well as for DnA products that enable business outcomes
- Be a key contributor to the team that will help define and drive the Global data and Analytics strategy for the company.
- Drive the operational processes that ensure compliance with our Data Governance Policy and Standards.
- Drive strategic leadership and is responsible for the evolution and execution of the enterprise data governance operating model as part of the holistic data strategy.
- Lead the enterprise data governance framework in support of our data governance policy and standards. In matrix alignment with Data Management Executives, Local Data Officers, business Data Stewards and technology.
- Working closely with Enterprise Architecture, management and coordination of our enterprise Data Domain structure
- This leader overseas and monitors compliance of all entities with our data governance policy and standards and serves as an escalation point for data issues to ensure data quality, consistency, and timeliness needed for business, regulatory and compliance priorities are met.
- Facilitating data governance related forums, as defined in the policy, including the Local Data Officer and Data Stewardship forums
- Working with technology and the Global Head of Foundational Data and Analytics to define the appropriate data management framework, including tools, storage and archiving required to support the data strategy
- Developing and reporting on Key Performance Indicators and data quality metrics
- Developing and managing data governance awareness and training for all AD entities
- Participating in the Data and Analytics Exec. Sponsor meetings and other senior forums to advance the robustness of the Enterprise-wide data governance framework
- Generate strong alignment with broader FDnA, CTO, the Global IT organization and Business Divisions and drive value to our Company through the evolution of the Data and Analytics function.
- Partner with Data experts to co create a holistic data insight environment to support strategic and operational decision making.
- Bachelor degree in Information Technology, Engineering or Science is required
- 10-15 years of experiences in Digital/Data or IT management, with demonstrated experience in driving business outcomes through DnA capabilities.
- Strong understanding of data governance, stewardship, privacy and compliance practices and demonstrated experience in delivering value through large scale DnA anchored programs and DnA products.
- Demonstrated leadership and relationship-building skills, with the ability to create successes through the use of positive influence
- Ability to manage, coach and mentor staff effectively, both direct and in a matrix environment
- Significant experience working in a Data and Analytics organization implementing data governance policy
- Demonstrated ability to implement operating models to provide proper controls for data governance processes
- Proven expertise in use of technical applications to support the data governance lifecycle
- Expertise in data governance practices and leading data management implementation activities in a matrixed financial institution
- Expert knowledge of data lifecycle activities such as data definitions, data lineage and implementation of a data quality management framework.
- A thorough working knowledge of Data Privacy regulations including GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA is a huge plus.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry businesses, operations, regulatory and compliance requirements and challenges is a plus
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; skilled in conceptualizing, documenting and presenting creative solutions at a senior level
- Proven problem-solving, facilitation and consensus-building skills and a high degree of personal initiative and attention to detail
- Leadership, as defined by your ability to envision the future and rally the organization / people towards a common goal.
- Demonstrate a constructive and collaborative leadership style
- Has demonstrated the following leadership behaviors:
- Ethics & Integrity
- Focus on Customers
- Drive Results
- Build Talent
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1