Executive Director Medical Affairs Metabolism (Diabetes/NASH) ( MERCUSR117993ENUS)
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry professionals ensuring the scientific value of our products is realized. We engage and train internal employees to ensure that they thoroughly comprehend the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to bolster collaboration and further differentiate our portfolio.
The Executive Director Medical Affairs, Metabolism (Diabetes/NASH) is accountable for the development and execution of scientific & medical affairs plans for their assigned Therapy Areas (TA). They lead a team of TA dedicated global and regional directors. The ED engages with global scientific leaders and key decision makers. The ED partners with Product Development Team leaders and Global Brand leaders. They collaborate with the Center of Real-World Evidence (CORE), Policy and Market Access. This is a headquarters-based position in the company research division Global Medical Affairs (GMA).
- Leads the annual scientific & medical plan in collaboration with the Global Directors Scientific Affairs that guide TA scientific exchange (input and output) of all GMA staff globally
- Leads cross-functional Scientific Medical and Research Teams to realize scientific value creation through responsive scientific leader interactions, a unified scientific/medical understanding and viewpoint, and aligned scientific exchange execution
- Partners with Product Development Team, Global Brand and Center of Real-World Evidence leads to define clinical development plans and brand strategies for assigned TAs
- Provides a solid understanding of how countries’ medical systems and standards of care have to change to accept new innovation, how to introduce the new innovation and how to implement and maintain its use
- Leads the team in consolidating actionable medical insights from countries and regions to inform company decisions
- Leads the team in engagement with international scientific leaders and other key stakeholders (therapeutic guideline committees, payers, public groups, government officials, medical societies) about our Company’s emerging science
- Ensures all scientific exchange for their TA is aligned with a single global scientific communications platform
- Drives global, regional and key country expert input events to answer our company's questions how to develop and implement new medicines: advisory boards and expert input forums
- Ensures team contributes as relevant members to the Product Development sub-teams (Value Evidence, Clinical, Commercial, Publications and Label teams)
- Aligns medical plans and activities with commercial leaders
- Organizes regular management reviews of the team’s activities and progress
- Drives global and regional symposia and educational meetings
- Supports Center of Real-World Evidence (CORE) data generation and coordinates local data generation studies with CORE
- Supports the investigator-initiated study program
- Manages talent across variety of cultures, languages and backgrounds
- Leads talent review process and demonstrate follow through on Development Plans for Key Talent
- Creates action plans to ensure healthy succession pools for leadership positions within the teams and in GMA
- MD and recognized scientific expertise
- A minimum of 5 year of clinical, industry or research experience (incl. publications) in the therapeutic area (Diabetes/Metabolism/NASH)
- Extensive experience in Medical Affairs or Clinical Development
- Strong prioritization and decision-making skills with the ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, mentor, manage and provide clear, unambiguous expectations and priorities for the teams
- In a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate with and influence partners across divisions
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication (written as well as oral), in addition to results-oriented project management skills
- Five+ years pharmaceutical (or related) Industry experience in the global or US arena with proven track record of contribution to medical or clinical development strategies
- Customer expertise especially scientific leadership and other key stakeholders (payers, public groups, government officials, medical professional organizations) in the assigned therapeutic area
- Proven ability to effectively influence company life cycle management, and data generation
- Understanding of resourcing and budgeting
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Remote Work
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1