Executive Underwriter, Marine (339170)
The Dallas branch is seeking a Commercial Insurance Marine underwriter to grow inland and ocean cargo business. While we are still be a market for select builders risk business, this underwriter would be expected to build a book that includes more renewable business (cargo, contractors equipment and other inland marine lines). The emphasis will include a high level of visibility with our agents, including Cornerstone, Tier One and Two agents, to identify segments of the business to pursue. A great deal of focus will be placed on account rounding of current in force business. Underwriter will need to collaborate with branch underwriters, marketing managers, cored underwriting units, and the Western Underwriting Center.
The Sr. Underwriter must profitably grow the inland and ocean cargo book, develop and maintain superior internal and external relationships and implement effective book management strategies. The position will also be responsible for developing and implementing a business plan to grow the Commercial Insurance book through cross-sell initiatives, prospect identification and pipeline development in the territory which includes Dallas, Austin & San Antonio.
The Sr. Underwriter will have accountability for the financial performance of this book of business, achieving and supporting growth for the branch, region and territory. This individual will identify opportunities for growth within new and existing production sources, identify cross sell opportunities, conduct agency planning/goal setting and make regular broker and insured visits based on monthly goals.
This position reports to the Dallas Commercial Insurance Manager.
- Experience in either marine and/or multi-line package underwriting.
- Strong sales and marketing capabilities. The ability to position accounts and close deals is a key requirement.
- Demonstrated success in marketing, producer/book management and new business development.
- Ability to successfully negotiate on all levels with both internal and external partners and nurture key producer relations.
- High proficiency with the underwriting process and risk analysis.
- Effective desk management.
- Exemplary ability to effectively interact with customers and coworkers at all levels.
- Knowledge and proficiency with underwriting technical issues, compliance, coverage, products, pricing & strategies.
- Results orientation, entrepreneurial spirit, business acumen, self-motivation and strong ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- 5+ years underwriting experience
- Experience underwriting multiple lines of insurance is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree
- Negotiation, relationship building & influence skills
- Entrepreneurial approach to challenges and opportunities
- Knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Oral and written communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Marketing skills
- Pipeline development skills
- Business leadership skills