Senior Accountant - Remote
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Assist with the month-end and quarter-end close process for assigned businesses or groups
- Perform account reconciliations and analysis, prepares and reviews journal entries and accounting classifications, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Research variance between actual vs budget and monthly/quarterly/annual flux
- Analyze and monitor various reserve balances within certain balance sheet accounts
- Continuously interpret agreements and update schedules used as the basis for accruals
- Coordinate with multiple business partners in a number of locations and functions including and not limited to process improvement initiatives, month-end close, PnL and BS forecast, etc.
- Perform ad hoc reporting and analysis and investigate issues providing explanations and interpretation
- Develop and lead innovative approaches for continued improvement in efficiency and effectiveness
- Perform work in a self-directed manner solving complex accounting issues and transactions
- Mentor and collaborate with team members
- Prepare and review documentation in support of external and internal audits
- Demonstrate solid attention to details and effective multi-tasking
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of Accounting experience
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, formulas, conditional formatting)
- Proven analytic skills with large data sets
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with Oracle
- Experience with PeopleSoft
- Proven communication skills with ability to relay financial findings in a clear and concise manner
- Skilled in multi-tasking and prioritizing workloads
- Analyzing and reviewing accounting journal entries
- Detailed and well organized
- Works independently in a self-directed manner
- Ability to anticipate customer needs and proactively
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York City, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York City, or Washington residents is $56,300 to $110,400. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.