Patient Accounting Customer Service Specialist - MarinHealth - San Rafael, CA
$2,000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
The Customer Service Specialist is a liaison between the community and the hospital. They must be able to work tactfully and efficiently with all patients, the public and other hospital employees. In the interest of outstanding customer service, they must be highly trained in business office operations, knowledge of all third-party payor arrangement, self-pay and charity patients. Possess advanced knowledge and experience of all Patient Accounting functions.
The Customer Service Specialist serves as the initial point of contact with the business office for most incoming phone calls and mail. The Customer Service Specialist will monitor all calls initially and if unable to handle the call, they will refer it to the appropriate follow up representative.
The Customer Service Department will be responsible for the overall duties listed, but individual Specialists may be assigned segregated duties required to assure overall workflows are met.
This position is full-time. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:00am – 4:30pm PST. Our office is located at 3950 Civic Center Drive San Rafael, CA 94903
- Primary role for all Customer Service Specialists is the timely and accurate handling of patient calls regarding changes, errors, and questions
- Accounts requiring additional assistance with insurance matters are to be referred to the appropriate patient account rep
- Provide patients or insurance companies with requested account documentation such as a bill summary, itemized statement or other records that are available on the Hospital Information System (HIS)
- Work closely with patients who have pending Medi Cal, CMSP or other coverage to assure timely payments. Refers accounts to outside vendor as required to assure timely eligibility
- Assists patients with other payment or account handling resources (e.g., Charity, prompt pay discounts, etc.) to facilitate a timely resolution
- Receives Charity care applications and reviews for proper completion. Charity Applications with missing information are sent a notice advising of need for information
- Track Charity accounts that are pending information. If patient fails to follow through, document account and change to self-pay
- Log all approved and denied Charity Care applications, assure all paperwork is attached and file
- Open all mail and distribute as required. Work all returned mail within 3 working days and update accounts as necessary
- Make all insurance updates and corrections within the HIS Paragon system, request a re-bill, document the account, and change the carrier within 72 hours of receipt
- Receive and process all subpoenas and requests for itemized bills for attorneys, patients, and other parties with authorization
- Work self-pay accounts as they call or are assigned. Part of this duty may include the review and working of the A4 listing prior to bad debt referral
- Work with patients to set up payment plans and provide assistance with the payment process
- Provide an explanation of charges and/or correspondence
- Work with Doctor’s offices and insurance companies to fulfill their requests for demographic information
- Work with patients that come to the Business Office to resolve their questions or make payments
- Utilizes the Hospital Information system to research accounts in a timely and effective manner
- Prepares financial agreements, creditors’ claims, probate forms, bankruptcy claims and Worker’s Compensation liens
- Provides assistance in any area assigned or designated by the Manager or Director
- Assists in the orientation of new employees
- Other duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR equivalent years of work experience
- 1+ years of experience in a Hospital Billing Office
- Ability to work onsite in 3950 Civic Center Drive San Rafael, CA 94903
- Ability to work full-time between 8:00am – 4:30pm PST
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- 2 + years of experience in a Patient Accounting/Business Office setting.
- Bilingual fluency in English and any other language
- Must possess strong customer service skills, ability to work tactfully with patients, families, and all other hospital staff.
- Able to handle a high level of calls and provide effective answers and resolutions in an expeditious and effective manner.
- Must be detailed oriented and capable of recording information correctly and timely
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Helping create positive customer experiences for our members can drive your sense of impact and purpose. Join us as we improve the lives of millions. Learn more about how you can start doing your life's best work. SM
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So, when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care must go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work. SM
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.