Optum Accounting Intern - Multiple Locations
Internships at Optum. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, is a leading health services and innovation company dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 94,000 people collaborating worldwide, Optum combines people, technology, data and action to improve the delivery, quality and efficiency of health care. Our internship opportunities provide a view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. Here, you’ll work with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
**This full-time summer intern position will be available starting June 2023**
**UnitedHealth Group is not able to offer visa sponsorship now or in the future for this position**
Opportunities are available in the following areas depending on interest and abilities:
- Controllership Accounting (Month end close)
- Financial Analysis (Variance explanations)
- Regulatory Accounting (Statutory)
- Maintain general ledger accounts and related activities for the production of financial statements and reports
- Reconcile, analyze and review general ledger accounts in preparation for month end close
- Prepare journal entries and reviews accounting classifications, in accordance with generally-accepted accounting principles
- Prepare documentation in support of external and internal audits
- Perform ad hoc reporting and analysis and investigate issues providing explanations and interpretation
- Analyze and prepare financial statements, including balance sheets and statements of financial position
- Assist with the month quarterly end close process for assigned businesses or groups
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting from an accredited college/university during the duration of the internship. Internships are not intended for graduating seniors
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and leadership potential
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated presentation skills
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, New York City, or Washington Residents Only: The hourly range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, New York City, or Washington residents is $16.00 to $19.38. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.