Associate Director of Accounting - Hybrid onsite or full time remote considered
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
A specialty pharmacy provides critical medications used to treat people with serious health conditions requiring complex therapies. Optum Specialty Pharmacy (OSP) takes a hands-on approach to patient care that makes a meaningful imprint on the health and quality of life of each patient. Over the last decade, specialty plan costs have grown 20X the rate versus traditional prescription drugs. As a result, specialty drugs represent almost half of U.S. drug revenue, growing at 8-10% CAGR. OSP, the 3rd largest specialty pharmacy in the U.S., is well-positioned to capture this market growth and serve as an important growth engine for Optum.
As a member of the Optum Specialty Accounting team, this position will support the pharmacy distribution strategy. Come join our team during this time of growth and expansion.
Positions in this function maintain general ledger accounts and related activities for the production of financial statements and reports. Performs account reconciliations and analyses, prepares journal entries and reviews accounting classifications, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Analyzes and prepares financial statements, including balance sheets and statements of financial position. Involved in the monthly/quarterly "close" process. Prepares documentation in support of external and internal audits.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- End to end accounting process
- Develop, implement and maintain processes and procedures for accurate and timely analysis of financial data, ensuring best practices
- Support system implementations and enhancements to ensure capabilities meet accounting requirements
- Develop and maintain internal control structure and procedures for financial reporting
- Resolve high level financial reporting issues
- Oversee the preparation and analysis of internal reporting ensuring the quality, reliability and timeliness of the reports
- Provide operational and technical accounting expertise to ensure compliance with GAAP, Company policies, rules, regulation and laws
- Summarize findings on the monthly, quarterly or annual reports to senior management, auditors and regulators
- Collaborate with Company operations to ensure alignment between operational planning and accounting processes
- Identifies and resolves technical, operational and organizational problems outside own team
- Provides leadership to and is accountable for the performance of managers and/or senior level professional staff
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- 7+ years demonstrated progression in Accounting
- Supervisory experience
- Expert level of proficiency with Excel (experience with large data sets)
- GAAP knowledge
- CPA or other equivalent licensure or certification or Public Accounting
- SAP experience
- Pharmaceutical wholesale distribution accounting experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills/cross departmental and leadership joint business operations management
- Advanced analytical and information gathering skills; ability to evaluate and prioritize extensive detailed data
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York City, or Washington Residents Only: The hourly range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York City, or Washington residents is $48.65 to $88.46. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.