2023 MCAAS Innovation Finance Leadership Development Program
Our Finance team brings financial perspectives into overall strategic and tactical decision making. We use state-of-the-art techniques for financial analysis, planning, accounting, reporting, and performance evaluation. This allows the organization to continue advancing medical innovation and improve lives.
Finance at our Company is committed to developing future leaders through its Finance Leadership Development Program (FLDP). Individuals are provided with an entry point through Corporate Audit and Assurance Services (MCAAS) to develop a breadth of experience including finance, accounting, analytics, risk management, and special project opportunities.
MCAAS Innovation FLDP participants will be placed within the MCAAS Innovation team. This dynamic cross-functional team helps drive the use of enhanced data and analytic capabilities in audit and across the finance organization. MCAAS Innovation provides individuals with a space to experiment and encourages them to bring forward new and innovative ideas for accessing data and gaining visual insights. Within this role, individuals will learn Merck’s various financial, accounting, and compliance systems and utilize emerging technologies to drive insights and improve efficiency. Individuals within this role will marry finance and accounting principles with data and technical acumen.
MCAAS Innovation FLDP participants will also have the opportunity to rotate onto multiple audit teams. These teams collaborate with stakeholders across the Finance organization, helping to solve vital business needs for Finance by leveraging data analytics and understanding implications on global healthcare systems. Audit assignments are unique to each individual’s skill set, professional interests, and development opportunities. These assignments can either be domestic or internationally focused, creating a unique chance to collaborate with auditees and colleagues from all around the world daily.
After about 2 years in the Finance Leadership Development Program, individuals advance their career development through opportunities across Finance and the greater organization. The purpose of this leadership development experience is to prepare young talent for the future so that the company is empowered to innovate and fulfill its purpose of Inventing for Life.
By joining the FLDP, individuals will gain an understanding of how the company is fulfilling its purpose of inventing medicines to improve people’s lives. The FLDP will allow individuals to gain knowledge on products, healthcare systems, payors, and regulatory and reputational risks while working intimately with our global business operations. In addition, individuals will use data analytics to gain insights into business practices and the execution of the company’s strategy; this includes a deeper knowledge of internal controls, business compliance, and risk management. Individuals will be based in the global headquarters in Rahway, NJ.
- Support audit teams with data requests from different financial, accounting, and compliance systems within the company.
- Create analytical projects and dashboards with various datasets to drive real-time risk assessments and control insights utilizing Power BI and other Microsoft applications.
- Experiment and sandbox with new systems and technology to drive new learnings and greater support capabilities.
- Develop automations to drive time savings and process efficiencies with technologies like UiPath, Dataiku, and Python.
- Participate team projects working with different team members and deliver outputs within deadline with agile project management methods.
- Participate in the execution of financial, operational, SOX 404 and IT audits, integrated audits, and process audits, both domestic and abroad to maintain a strong internal control environment at Merck.
Opportunity to Innovate in a Changing World through our Ways of Working:
- WIN AS ONE TEAM – We will empower you to work across the company developing and leveraging a network of relationships to achieve high-level business insights. We collaborate with different finance and business functions to achieve the goals of the company as one team.
- FOCUS ON WHAT MATTERS – You will learn how to evaluate business operations, processes, and internal controls to effectively complete risk-based audits. Individuals are empowered to develop their skillsets through a wide breadth of engagements, across various business lines. This helps individuals to focus on what matters in a complex and evolving business environment.
- ACT WITH URGENCY – We act promptly as our company actively evolves in a changing world. Additionally, MCAAS acts as a trusted advisor, supporting the enterprise via advisory engagements.
- EXPERIMENT, LEARN, AND ADAPT – We challenge the way we work every day as our Senior Leaders are committed to continuously evaluating new ways of working through ideation and experimentation. Individuals will be part of a culture where every experiment is taken as a lesson learned, which is part of the innovative process.
- EMBRACE DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION – We are dedicated to bringing diverse backgrounds, cultures, and mindsets into our team. We believe in creating an environment when everyone can bring their full self to work and feel they are part of a team.
- SPEAK UP AND BE OPEN-MINDED – We work to break down silos and share our knowledge to better connect people and data. Individuals will be challenged to critically problem solve, act as trusted advisors, and utilize data & analytic applications to provide business insights. FLDP participants will prepare and deliver presentations to both peers and leaders, sharing their successes and lessons learned.
This is a full-time position starting in July 2023. Individuals in the FLDP will complete a comprehensive onboarding and training. This training will provide insights to expansive business, industry, and audit knowledge. Additionally, the training will develop overall finance and business acumen, enhance leadership skills, and offer extensive networking opportunities.
If you would like to learn more about our group, please visit our website:
Required Education, Skills & Experience:
- Current Seniors enrolled in a BS in Finance, Business Analytics, or Accountancy preferred, but all business majors may be considered (including Management, Marketing, or Economics). Academic curriculum focus on data analytics is preferred.
- Strong passion for data, technology, and finance.
- Strong data analytical skills, including transformation, modeling, analysis, and visualization.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Proven success in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Creative vision, a passion for learning, and willingness to share new ideas.
- Ability to self-motivate and take responsibility for personal growth and development.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with client and business process owners as well as finance colleagues.
- Effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work autonomously and within a team.
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Demonstration of ethics and integrity within a professional work environment.
- Travel: Up to 20% of the time, both domestic and international.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Previous internship or work experience in Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics, or Data Analytics
- GPA of 3.3 or above
- Basic experience with Power BI or related business intelligence software
- Basic experience with UiPath, Dataiku, Alteryx or related automation software
- Basic experience with SAP
- Basic programming knowledge with Python, R, or related languages
- Basic SQL knowledge and relational database understanding
Our support functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our support functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under New York City, Washington State and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate’s relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:$65,500.00 - $111,200.00
Available benefits include bonus eligibility, health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: