Financial Counselor - Eastern Maine Medical Center - Bangor, ME
$1,500 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
Opportunities at Northern Light Health, in strategic partnership with Optum. Whether you are looking for a role in a clinical setting or supporting those who provide care, we have opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of those we serve. As a statewide healthcare system in Maine, we work to personalize and streamline healthcare for our communities. If the place for you is at a large medical center, a rural community practice or home care, you will find it here. Join our compassionate culture, enjoy meaningful benefits and discover the meaning behind: Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
This position works with patients to resolve applicable financial concerns including providing counseling on available financial assistance or healthcare coverage options, assessing payment sources, developing payment plans, and collecting patient payments.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week), on-site. Schedule will be comprised of Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. Additional information will be provided during the interview process. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at Eastern Maine Medical Center Campus, 885 Union St, Bangore, Maine 04401
- Screens appropriate patients for possible healthcare coverage or financial assistance opportunities to determine eligibility, coverage levels, and billing requirements.
- Counsels patients as to financial responsibility while assessing suitability for financial assistance programs. Ensures accounts are screened for linkage opportunities and appropriate actions are completed.
- Partners with Patient Financial Services staff to best assist patients who have financial questions or needs outside of the Financial Counseling realm, including requests for payment plans.
- Works closely with partnering vendors to confirm qualifying patients are assessed/offered financial assistance as necessary.
- Functions as the liaison with various departments for determining financial options and financial counseling for scheduled procedures and price-shopping.
- Records and prepares statistics for outreach of financial assistance programs offered.
- Maximizes revenue collections
- Minimizes accounts receivable losses (bad debt) by use of workflows, technology, and tools provided
- Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
- May perform other duties upon request.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 6+ months experience in an office setting, customer service setting (over the phone or face to face) or phone support role or call center environment
- Familiarity with computer and Windows PC applications, which includes the ability to learn new and complex computer system applications
- Ability to work onsite at Eastern Maine Medical Center Campus, 885 Union St, Bangor, Maine 04401
- Ability to work full-time, Monday - Friday between 8:00am – 4:30pm including the flexibility to work occasional overtime given the business need
- Full COVID-19 and Flu vaccination are an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- 1+ years of Patient Access experience in a hospital or medical setting
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Working knowledge of insurance policies and procedures and patient care settings
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies required all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.