Senior Accountant- General Accounting ( 587469-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You'll be in a key role, supporting general accounting functions. Utilizing your drive and motivation, you will expand your experience and develop subject matter expertise in a variety of areas. You will have the opportunity to increase your accounting knowledge to include complex scenarios as part of a dynamic and challenging Finance organization.
- Assisting with the monthly close process and projects.
- Performing analytical assignments and preparing accounting reports.
- Preparing reconciliations of accounts, actively investigating reconciling items to resolve timely.
- Performing analysis and coordinating with partners to resolve any differences.
- Analyzing and interpreting reports for managers, providing recommendations to guide business decisions.
- Fielding issues and responding to inquiries, ensuring resolution.
- Maintaining records for accounting transactions.
- Comparing system outputs with daily input verifying for accuracy and resolves discrepancies.
- Leading the company’s efforts to comply with the requirements of Sarbanes Oxley while ensuring compliance and adherence with controls for internal policies and external regulations.
- Leading or participating in training and skills development initiatives as a subject matter expert.
- Participating in the identification and implementation of improvements to accounting processes.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant experience.
- Two or more years of relevant work experience AND obtained CPA or Masters in related field of study (such as in accounting or audit).
- Experience in the preparation of general ledger postings and account reconciliations.
- Knowledge of FASB requirements, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and accounting standard methodologies.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and applications such as SAP, PeopleSoft, CPM/Essbase, Hyperion Financial Management, Blackline or related systems and applications.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field or four or more years of work experience.
- Master's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, or equivalent.
- CPA certification (or are in the process of getting certified).
- Experience with continuous improvement initiatives and root cause analysis.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and strong written and verbal communications skills.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
- This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).