Earth Station Technician
The Leidos Defense Group is seeking an Earth Station Technician (EST) for assignment to Pituffik Space Base formerly Thule Air Base, Greenland. The role of the EST includes, but is not limited to, communicating on a technical level with the Prime and US Government customers, monitoring the performance of transmissions to maintain trouble free access, initiating corrective action to restore interrupted service in the event of a failure in the satellite communications system, and general maintenance of the earth station facility. The EST carries a high level of responsibility to our customers’ satisfaction and business interests.
This position is an Unaccompanied assignment and requires relocation to Thule Air Base, Greenland.
- Provides 24/7 coverage through shiftwork and responds quickly to customers’ needs at all hours and on short notice.
- Completes shipping/receiving of equipment and supplies for site and manages site inventories.
- Notifies Operations Manager of any issues/concerns where assistance may be necessary.
- Ensures required reports/site information are provided in a timely manner.
- Monitors performance of customers’ signals to confirm they are operating within parameters and anticipates issues which could affect services.
- Initiates proper corrective action procedures in the event of a satellite communications or other transmission failure.
- Conducts IP network connection diagnostics using the ping and traceroute commands, and isolate location of the problem.
- Interfaces directly with customers in troubleshooting and resolving circuit problems at both the earth station and customer location.
- Installs and tests new earth station equipment.
- Schedules vendor access to earth stations for repair and maintenance.
- Performs preventive and corrective maintenance on satellite communications equipment including high voltages, SSPAs, LNAs, waveguide, cabling and antennas alone and in a safe manner.
- Provides the Network Monitoring Center with an up to date and correct status of trouble repair, resolution, and times of trouble resolution.
- High School diploma or equivalent and 2-4 years of prior relevant experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid U.S. Passport (Blue Book) with no restrictions on travel.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in their state of residence.
- Experience with digital data and communications systems.
- Experience with RF hardware, satellite communications hardware.
- Experience with fiber optic systems, including installation, operation, and diagnostics.
- Must be willing to work in scheduled shifts, and/or non-standard hours, in order to maintain 24/7 operational coverage of the earth stations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must meet physical deployment standards as set forth in, but not limited to, DoD Instruction 3020.41, Operational Contract Support, and applicable modifications.
- Ability to lift equipment up to 51 lbs individually, up to 75 lbs assisted.
- Willingness to work with high voltage power amplifiers and climb antenna structures.
- Associates Degree in Communication Engineering Technology, or equivalent technical training.
- Extensive knowledge of satellite communications equipment.
- 5 years of experience in satellite telecommunications engineering and customer service.
- Ability to prioritize, isolate a problem, and return communications service to operation quickly.
- Good communication, organizational. and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Ethernet/IP networking, use of IP diagnostic tools and tests, understand IP addressing notation, and familiar with the effects of the satellite latency on IP communications.
External Referral Eligible
Pay Range:Pay Range $37,050.00 - $57,000.00 - $76,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.