Associate General Counsel, Governance - Minnetonka, MN or Telecommute
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
This position will provide legal counsel and expertise to UnitedHealth Group. This individual will frequently interact with Company senior leaders and/or outside counsel on complex issues having impact across UnitedHealth Group organization entities. The focus will be on corporate governance activities, including Board of Directors policies and support, UnitedHealth Group’s public disclosures, proxy statements and related securities laws issues. This position will generally provide thought leadership in the areas of securities law, corporate governance and selected strategic transactions.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges. If located in the Minneapolis area, this position is hybrid in-office.
- Monitor and maintain various corporate governance practices and policies, including researching and advising the Company on governance best practices and consulting with outside governance organizations
- Provide legal department support for the Board of Directors and its committees
- Corporate governance activities, including those related to strategic transactions and compliance with governance-related laws and regulations, including SEC rules and NYSE regulations
- Provide securities law advice and expertise to senior executives and management in many functional areas, including debt offerings and executive compensation
- Assist with the preparation and filing of the Company’s annual, periodic and current reports and proxy statement
- Assist with the Company’s annual shareholder meeting and preparations for shareholder engagements
- Assist in the preparation of earnings releases
- Assist in administering the Company’s insider trading and related person transaction policies
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- State Bar membership
- 4+ years of experience advising public companies in securities law and corporate governance issues
- Expertise with federal securities laws, Delaware business corporation law & NYSE regulations
- Demonstrated solid understanding of business operations, negotiation tactics, and corporate governance issues
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and determine appropriate legal course of action to meet business needs
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism, integrity, and collegiality
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 6+ years of counsel experience
- Law firm / in-house counsel experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.