Communications and Marketing Writer
Here at Leidos, we care deeply about the growth and development of our people. Leidos Civilian Health Solutions Group in Windsor Mill, MD (Baltimore) in support of the End-User Centric IT Support (ECIS) 2 Contract for Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is looking to advance the organization by adding a Communications and Marketing Writer to our Communications, Knowledge, and Training (CKT) Team.
Must be local the DC/MD/VA area
Our program is focused on the delivery of end-user centric IT technology solutions through a streamlined and seamless development, implementation, and communication experience. The IT we support through our communication and marketing activities includes hardware such as laptops, monitors, printers and peripherals and a variety of IT system and software related applications. We provide internal IT communications for CMS, bringing end user adoption strategies for technical information, products and services.
The ideal candidate for the Communications and Marketing Writer will have experience and qualifications in communications and marketing, with interest or experience in a technology environment.
This position will be involved with assisting, coordinating, and creating written content including end-user communications, technical specifications, T0 knowledge articles, procedures, creative marketing and end-user adoption and engagement plans and campaigns for pilot and full deployment of technical program initiatives. Project examples include refreshing computer or mobile devices, launching new software such as Microsoft 365, or communicating about updated Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) information.
The candidate must be able to work well within a team and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, building and responding to both short and long-term projects, deliverables, and plans. This position will interact regularly with key customer contacts and groups.
This position is part of a multidisciplinary communications, knowledge and training team including technical and content writers, visual and graphic designer, multimedia videographer, knowledge and training specialists.
Collaboration with others across the program is critical including with project managers, IT specialists and engineers, procurement, document and quality control, service delivery and service desk, and web developers. This position includes working with internal program team members, subject matter experts and may work with the customer, other project partners and contractors.
A customer service mindset and approach, attention to detail, proactive approach, and can-do problem-solving attitude are critical.
Under the direction of the Sr Manager, Communications, Knowledge and Training, your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Assist with, write and edit product, project, and technical documents, including procedures, processes, functional descriptions, system specifications, reports, manuals, guidelines, training, briefings and presentations, special reports, and other project deliverables to meet contract requirements.
- Digital, print and physical mediums that this role may be involved with include but are not limited to: presentations, signage, posters and banners, email broadcasts and announcements, intranet and web materials, Tier 0 knowledge articles, newsletters, events, videos, animations, diagrams and dashboards, instructional documents, FAQs, fact sheets and talking points, executive summaries, one pagers, white papers and reports;
- Effectively communicate during the content creation and editing process and, when necessary, meet with technical staff to obtain additional information required for the documentation.
- Successfully learn and apply understanding of technical initiatives and processes into plain language end user communication for a variety of content documents.
- Assist with outlines and drafts for review and approval by technical specialists and management ensuring that final documents meet applicable contract requirements and regulations.
- Consult with relevant information sources, including library resources, technical documents, and client and project personnel, to obtain background information, and verify pertinent guidelines and regulations governing project deliverables.
- Work successfully within project teams and manage work independently through these processes including internal and customer review and approval processes.
- Share work with and coordinate across internal and customer teams for review, editing and approval;
- Perform technical edit and support quality reviews; perform document conversion to PDF and test for Section 508 compliancy, where needed.
- Provide input and help guide development of workflow processes, standards, and documentation of such for the program and customer interface.
- Ensure documents meet editorial and government specifications and adhere to standards for quality, graphics, coverage, format and style.
- Bachelor’s degree in writing, technical writing, journalism, mass communications, marketing communications, or closely related discipline;
- 2+ years of experience working on technical writing, communications, marketing, content creation or related areas;
- Ability to learn and capture technical solutions and designs and translate in technical documentation;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience with document structure and logic flow, as well as writing for non-technical audiences;
- Experience in document and repository management practices, developing new and/or refining existing technical writing processes to enhance quality and productivity, awareness of Agile Scrum methodologies, software/hardware development principles;
- Strong writing and editing background, is self-organized on daily and longer term basis;
- Strong collaboration skills to work in a team across multiple disciplines;
- Ability to research and organize process work steps in a concise and discernible manner;
- Ability to manage multiple assignments while ensuring technical accuracy, adherence to documentation standards, and a timely delivery of all work products;
- Knowledge and experience with various documentation tools including Microsoft Office;
- Must be able to work additional hours on occasion;
- Ability to travel locally required and at times regionally or nationally as requested;
- Ability to obtain a public trust clearance.
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
- Ability to work to 508 compliance;
- Awareness of human centered design (HCD) framework;
- Experience working with agile project management including in Jira and Confluence environments;
- Experience in a similar working environment helpful but not required as new thinking, experience and ideas from other industries or work environments are considered a plus.
The rate for this position is 60,715.20 (29.19/hr)
Pay Range:Pay Range -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.