Work with the latest trends in home furnishings on a global stage.
It’s an exciting time to join our Merchandising team, whether you’re just starting your career or looking to take your skills to the next level.
The Director of Merchandising is accountable for maximizing their category sales and profitability in alignment with the company strategies and brand. This involves developing and executing a robust merchandising strategy, driving product development with the in-house design team, leading the merchandising team to high performance, devising compelling marketing and promotions programs, and maintaining a focus on continuous learning and improvement.
- Review and analyze consumer demographic and psychographic characteristics, fashion trends, retail landscape and other relevant data to stylistically interpret, financially plan for and react to emerging market trends and conditions.
- Determine appropriate competitive strategies to drive category product development, good/better/best quality merchandise assortment and quantity, purchase, pricing, margin, promotion and clearance to complement the other product categories and maximize return of advertising investment.
- Partner with merchandise planning to develop and implement a balanced investment strategy by category and store type.
- Assist in decision making regarding prices, quantities, freight terms, allowances and product packaging based on the purchasing plan.
- Report to the executive team on the “state of the category” using financial analysis and other fact-based data in terms of current performance, new styles, trends, promotions, best sellers, etc.
- Research and shop competitors to ensure the Company is a category value leader.
- Travel to retail store locations to conduct velocity walks; review and evaluate product mix and gain insight regarding quality or other issues and translate those findings into executable plans.
- Provide product development recommendations to the in-house design team; bring fresh perspectives to the table that reflect price point and design trend needs.
- Serve as the product merchandise advocate for the enterprise stores as well as the licensee network.
- Travel domestically and internationally to corporate, manufacturing plants, trade shows, markets and other events to observe market trends, gather product information, examine product quality and other attributes; select merchandise and establish business relationships with viable vendors, if necessary.
- Negotiate with vendors and others to maximize profitability and achieve financial objectives by securing the best opportunities in pricing, quantity, freight terms, allowances and product packaging based on the purchasing plan.
- Ensure all product documentation is complete and on file with required departments.
- Support marketing for promotion collateral development, as well as promotional calendar and market calendar reconciliation.
- Review and approve the accuracy of all strategic and technical information, such as product mix, item selection, item description, price direction, etc., prior to set deadlines.
- Participate, as needed, in planogram and display concept set-up, as well as new store set-up.
- Provide educational material to the field through launch process.
- Make employment decisions and/or recommendations on hiring, improvement plans, transfers, promotions, corrective actions, terminations, pay adjustments, etc.
- Coordinate and manage the work of employees by directing members of the team to meet the area’s goals. Audit regularly to ensure standard operating procedures are being adhered to.
- Manage employee performance and assist employees in making improvements to their performance through coaching, mentoring, and administering performance reviews. Recommend, plan and/or implement employee training and skill development activities.
- Audit, maintain and ensure employee time-keeping and absentee records are accurate.
- Communicate company and departmental issues and goals and facilitate employee growth and development through weekly team meetings, regular individual employee meetings, coaching, training, and company-offered learning opportunities.
- Manage resources to optimize equipment, facilities, employees, methods, and materials.
- Demonstrate the Company’s Core and Growth Values in the performance of all job functions.
What Do You Need?
- 10 years’ experience in purchasing, buying, merchandising, brand management, marketing or related field, preferably in home case goods in multiple, global locations, Required
- Supervisory/Management experience
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Document management system
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of Continuous Improvement
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously within established time constraints
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, internet
- Strong skills in agility, along with the ability to pivot easily when directions and priorities changes on short notice
- Perform under strong demands in a fast-paced environment
- Work professionally with customers and co-workers to efficiently serve our customers, treating both with enthusiasm and respect
- Display empathy, understanding and patience with employees and external customers
- Respond professionally in situations with difficult employee/vendor/customer issues or inquiries
Who Are We?
- We offer competitive pay and excellent benefits.
- We are a multi-billion dollar company and the largest manufacturer of furniture in the world, and offer one of the industry’s broadest product assortments at over 20,000 storefronts in 123 countries.
- Growth-Focused is one of our core values, and we are dedicated to helping you grow with us through training, mentoring, and coaching as well as investing in the latest design tools, production equipment and new technologies.
- Environmental efforts are a priority as we continually seek to recycle, reuse, and replenish every day.
- Millions of dollars are contributed annually to local and national charities as we seek to improve the lives of people around the world.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and provide a drug-free working environment. While Ashley appreciates the interest of all candidates only those meeting specific position requirements may be contacted. Principals Only.