General Manager (99339)
American Water's Military Services Group (MSG) has been awarded a contract for ownership, operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater utility systems at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Washington state. MSG provides water and wastewater services to military installations across the country as part of the federal government’s Utilities Privatization (UP) Program. Join our team by submitting an application for one of our many opportunities at JBLM!
The General Manager of Operations is primarily responsible for the delivery of all operations and maintenance activities required under the service agreement contract. Duties include planning, organizing and directing activities with respect to the respective contract operations, including water/wastewater treatment facilities, distribution/collection systems and pump/lift stations, etc. as may be required by contract. This position is responsible for fostering cooperation between operations and the City Departments and capital staff on new capital upgrades and repair & replacement projects.Key Accountabilities
- Responsible for the overall safe operation and maintenance activities of the facilities associated with the project. Analyzes and evaluates operation, maintenance, and support functions. Initiates new or improved practices as necessary. (20%)
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate health and safety measures are established and carried out in system operations, management and maintenance. (15%)
- Develops objectives to meet regulatory requirement efficiencies and productivity via continuous quality improvement and strategic planning. Organizes operations, maintenance, and support activities to maximize efficient use of available staff, equipment and materials. Directly or indirectly supervises all staff assigned to the Project. (15%)
- Accountable for achieving state, federal and local standards for water regulatory requirements. Assures that all Human Resource, OSHA, Department of Labor notifications are displayed for all employees to view, checking periodically for compliance. (15%)
- Develops and oversees the annual O & M budget. Monitors and controls costs according to the MR&R plan. Coordinates activities and supports the implementation of Capital Projects. Controls expenditures to meet or exceed budget expectations on an ongoing basis. (15%)
- Responsible for delivery of key reports and periodic updates to plans and manuals as defined in contract with the City. Interacts with subordinates, supervisors, other agencies, and customer representatives to facilitate smooth system functioning. (15%)
- Performs other related functions as assigned. (5%)
- Knowledge of water treatment processes and techniques, and management of water treatment systems; with an emphasis on iron and manganese removal.
- Knowledge of water distribution techniques, and management of water distribution systems.
- Knowledge of wastewater and stormwater collection, and management of wastewater and stormwater collection systems; with an emphasis on combined sewers.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Able to build and sustain a collaborative, high performance team culture that encourages creativity, innovation, empowerment, and vision.
- Able to direct, coach, interact, mentor, and organize people to accomplish goals consistent with the organization’s objectives. Ability to lead managers and supervisors.
- Able to lead a strategic approach to developing long range Project goals and objectives, developing a plan to reach these goals.
- Able to proactively introduce changes into the facility to address emerging issues.
- Able to encourage the effective use of technology to improve facility operations.
- Able to institutionalize the concepts of continuous quality improvement activities, performance measures and benchmarking.
- Able to clearly articulate complex issues both verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical people.
- Able to plan, schedule, prioritize, and coordinate work within assigned work area.
- Able to respond to emergencies in a calm and levelheaded manner.
- Able to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, customers, and the general public.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Over seven (7) years of increasingly responsible management experience in utility, surface water and/or wastewater operations strongly including proven experience with financial operations involving one or more sites.
- Experience with both non-union and union environments preferred.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in sanitary, chemical, civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering, public or business administration or other equivalent degree.
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Must possess a valid state (of residence) driver’s license.
- Local travel to various worksites only
- Prioritizes & Role Models Safety
- Develops Talent
- Plans, Aligns, & Directs
- Drives Engagement
- Decision Quality
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.