General Maintenance Worker (SCA) (100060)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
Military Services Group (MSG): works with the United States Military to treat and supply water and to collect and treat wastewater for military installations all over the country as part of the federal government’s Utility Privatization Program.
In September of 2019, American Water was awarded a 50-year contract to privatize the water and wastewater utilities of U.S. Army Garrison West Point, New York. Our responsibilities include system capital investment, regulatory and environmental compliance, planning, asset recapitalization, and long term operations and maintenance.Primary Role
This position performs technical work in the maintenance and repair of water/wastewater systems. This position also assists in the Operations of the Water/Wastewater Treatment plants on an as needed basis. Annual average of time this position works in Repair & Maintenance versus Operations is as follows: 90% Repair & Maintenance and 10% Operations. Position may require some overtime, weekend, and holiday work as well as On-Call responsibility.Key Accountabilities
- Using a company vehicle, performs repairs, preventive and corrective maintenance on water distribution systems, valves, hydrants, meters and mains and on wastewater collection systems, mains, manholes, clean outs etc. process equipment including pumps, blowers, motors and maintains pumps, electrical controls, emergency signaling and related components
- Cleans and maintains wet wells, lift stations, grounds, facilities and related equipment
- Prepares orders for maintenance materials, supplies, spare parts and equipment
- Makes equipment adjustments and reports any serious equipment problems
- Maintains computerized and manual records and prepares reports pertaining to the operation of the water distribution & collection systems, reviews daily work orders, completes daily reports, and makes changes as required to meet operating requirements
- Identifies, schedules and coordinates the work of outside utility maintenance contractors in support of project
- Follows Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies. Wear and work in proper personal protective equipment. Drives a company vehicle during scheduled work hours
- Assist with operational tasks in conjunction with operators or as directed by operators
- Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent or as management assigns
- Knowledge of mechanical operation, maintenance and repair of equipment and water and wastewater systems
- Knowledge of electrical systems related to equipment in assigned work area
- Knowledge of proper operation of hydraulic, pneumatic and telemetry equipment
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code
- Knowledge of water and wastewater processes including ability to operate basic water distribution and wastewater collection systems independently.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations
- Effectively and safely operates hand tools, pneumatic tools, air compressors and other small equipment related to the maintenance trades and water distribution and wastewater collection systems operations
- Hands-on experience in light duty electrical power systems (240 V/ single and three phase) and instrumentation calibration and use
- Ability to use and direct excavation crews for repairs of underground utilities, including past demonstrated experience using backhoe and driving a small dump truck
- Five (5) years’ experience in maintenance of water distribution systems, water pump stations and wastewater collection systems, wastewater Lift Stations etc.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Additional trade specific courses preferred
- Must possess a valid, active state preferred commercial Driver’s License and be able to successfully pass a motor vehicle background check
- Prefer state certified Water and Wastewater Operator license
< 5%Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationNimble learningDrives ResultsCollaborates
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.