Lead General Maintenance Worker (SCA) (99190)
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Responsible for all activities involving the operations and maintenance of the water distribution system (pumps, storage tanks, fire hydrants, etc.), the wastewater collection system (pumps, lift stations etc. Limited direction and/or supervisory responsibilities for assigned personnel to include: General Maintenance Workers, technicians, and laborers, contractors and works under the general direction of the Operations Supervisor or the General Manager.Key Accountabilities
- Prepares, Reviews, evaluates, revises, establishes and implements policies and procedures used in of water and the collection of wastewater, that result in Safe, Compliant, Reliable, and Profitable operations. 20%
- Carries out day-to-day activities, schedules Staff assignments, and participates in review and evaluation of staff performance including: water and wastewater systems sampling protocol and disinfection of water mains. Follows company discipline policy when needed. 20%
- Follows and implements Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies. 10%
- Implement and foster the coaching and development of employees, including idea generation, within respective functional areas. 10%
- Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations and all customers. 10%
- Performs work on distribution system, and sewer collection system. Maintains work records and preventative maintenance records and prepares various reports as assigned. 10%
- Participates in the preparation of Capital and Operations and Maintenance Budgets. Reviews and approves expenditures. 10%
- Performs standby duties. Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent. 10%
- Extensive knowledge of the objectives, equipment, and operations of water distribution and groundwater supply systems, and wastewater collection systems.
- Extensive knowledge of methods and materials of water/wastewater system construction and maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of the layout, location and equipment characteristics of water and wastewater systems.
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations for areas of responsibility
- Ability to plan and coordinate the work of employees.
- General knowledge of MS Office products, MS Word and Excel, and be able to learn the use of new software with training assistance.
- Ability to plan and present safety training to employees.
- Employee may be required to work shift work and maintain on-call assignments. There will be some weekend, holiday and overtime work as needed.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED, plus at least five (5) years progressively responsible experience in operations, maintenance, and administration of water and/or wastewater systems and treatment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for experience.
- Champions safety
- Customer obsessed
- Cultivates innovation
- Nimble learning
- Drives Results
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.