Lead General Maintenance Worker - Military Services Group (MSG) (101036)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
In September 2008, under the Department of Defense’s Utility Privatization Program, American Water was awarded ownership and a 50-year contract for the operations and maintenance of the water and wastewater distribution and collection systems and treatment facilities at Fort Polk in Leesville, Louisiana. Join our team now by applying for immediate consideration!
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
Responsible for all activities involving the operations and maintenance of the water distribution system (pumps, storage tanks, fire hydrants, etc.), the wastewater collection system (pumps, lift stations etc. Limited direction and/or supervisory responsibilities for assigned personnel to include: General Maintenance Workers, Maintenance Trades Helpers, technicians, and laborers, contractors and works under the general direction of the Operations Supervisor or the General Manager.Key Accountabilities
- Prepares, Reviews, evaluates, revises, establishes and implements policies and procedures used in of water and the collection of wastewater, that result in Safe, Compliant, Reliable, and Profitable operations
- Carries out day-to-day activities, schedules Staff assignments, and participates in review and evaluation of staff performance including: water and wastewater systems sampling protocol and disinfection of water mains. Follows company discipline policy when needed.
- Follows and implements Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies
- Implement and foster the coaching and development of employees, including idea generation, within respective functional areas
- Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations and all customers.
- Performs work on distribution system, and sewer collection system. Maintains work records and preventative maintenance records and prepares various reports as assigned.
- Participates in the preparation of Capital and Operations and Maintenance Budgets. Reviews and approves expenditures.
- Performs standby duties. Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent.
- Ability to plan and coordinate the work of employees.
- General knowledge of MS Office products, MS Word and Excel, and be able to learn the use of new software with training assistance
- Ability to plan and present safety training to employees.
- Employee may be required to work shift work and maintain on-call assignments. There will be some weekend, holiday and overtime work as needed.
- Extensive knowledge of the objectives, equipment, and operations of water distribution and groundwater supply systems, and wastewater collection systems.
- Extensive knowledge of methods and materials of water/wastewater system construction and maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of the layout, location and equipment characteristics of water and wastewater systems.
- Knowledge of GIS mapping system.
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations for areas of responsibility.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED, plus at least five (5) years progressively responsible experience in operations, maintenance, and administration of water and/or wastewater systems and treatment. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for experience.
- Supervisory experience a plus
- Possess a Level 1 Water Distribution Systems Operator Certification issued by Lousiana Department of Health & Hospitals preferred
- Preferred Level 1 Wastewater Collection System Operator Certification issued by LDHH required or the ability to obtain within 1 year
- PReferred valid Class B CDL or the ability to obtain within 1 year
- Employee may be required to work indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions
- Employee may be required to work where regularly they may be exposed to fumes, dust odors, environments, noise, etc.
- There will be some weekend, holiday and overtime work as needed, including on-call assignments
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds, unassisted
- Comprehend the elements of the MSG Strategy for Organizational Excellence
- Look for opportunities to improve efficiency and find ways to save budget expenses
- No reportable accidents occur with-in work area of responsibility
- No complaints from customer concerning not being informed of work to be done in an area
- Holds proper level of certification for position
- No complaints from customer regarding AW being unresponsive to customer’s needs
- Lead by example with displaying “can do” attitude at all times
- 100% compliance with regulations
- No preventable breakdown of equipment
- All interactions with customer are handled in professional manner generating Zero complaints
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.