Assistant General Counsel, Health Group ( R-00068362 )
The Leidos Corporate Legal Department is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to join our team at our Reston, VA headquarters. This role requires an Attorney experienced in government and commercial contracting matters, managing and handling litigation, claims, disputes and investigations. The position will report to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Health Group and work closely with various members of the legal, contracts, ethics and compliance, procurement, internal audit, and finance departments, as well as various line organization functions and personnel.
This is a great opportunity to support a growth business in an exciting industry while working at a large company with an established law department. In recent years, the Leidos Legal Department has been recognized as Washington’s Law Department of the Year by The National Law Journal for Major Deals/Litigation and as Outstanding Law Department of the Year by the Association of Corporate Counsel for the National Capital Region (ACC). The Leidos Legal Department also received ACC’s Community Service Award.
This position will be located at Leidos Headquarters in Reston, VA.
- Advise on all aspects of government and commercial contract law formation and performance.
- Draft, negotiate, and interpret contracts with Leidos Health Group customers, partners, and vendors, including master service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, teaming agreements, subcontract agreements, software license agreements, and business associate agreements.
- Handle, oversee and manage claims, disputes and litigation, including outside counsel as necessary.
- Manage, conduct and/or assist with various internal and external legal investigations.
- Interact with other attorneys and internal clients on various legal counseling activities.
- Proactively anticipate and respond to requests for legal advice from business management.
- A Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and a member in good standing of a US state bar.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant legal experience -- in-house, at a top tier law firm and/or in government service.
- Strong background in government and commercial contracting, handling disputes, claims and litigation, and conducting investigations.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize and manage workload, manage simultaneous tasks, and meet deadlines with a changing, fast-paced environment.
- Sound business judgment, exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, and strategic thinking, as well as superior time-management and organizational skills.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent business judgment and the ability to work well in a collegial, team-oriented environment, and develop comprehensive solutions to challenging issues.
- Prior experience at a government contractor or in a government contracts private practice group is a plus, as is experience with healthcare contracts.
- Member of the Virginia State Bar or eligible for admission as Virginia Corporate Counsel.
Key Attributes for Success in this Role:
- Demonstrated skills in client relationships and ability to communicate effectively with senior management.
- Ability to demonstrate superior legal and analytical expertise and business-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Excellent judgment and initiative in selecting the most effective solutions.
- Ability to manage, handle and balance a high volume of matters, and prioritize assignments to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism, integrity and collegiality.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad range of legal matters.
- Self-motivated and ability to complete matters without extensive supervision.
- Highly responsive and organized.