Purpose and Scope:
Under general direction of a supervisor or lead-person, performs a variety of sub professional duties and work related to the operation and maintenance of Transportation vehicles and equipment; ensures timely and efficient accomplishment of assigned duties; and prepare and maintain reports and records related to work assignments.
The individual will perform a variety of duties related to the operation and maintenance of all Transportation vehicles and equipment, such as:
• Operate diagnostic and other test equipment related to vehicle maintenance and repair; prepare shop repair orders; research and identify parts from catalogs; perform maintenance, repair, overhaul and replacement of parts related to the operation of vehicles and equipment; and be able to operate all vehicles and equipment.
• General knowledge in operating principles of gasoline and diesel-powered equipment and associated electrical systems, and electronic controls, hydraulics, brake systems, and drive train components.
• Works with other semi-skilled and skilled craftsperson’s and coordinates with members of other activities to ensure quality and timely accomplishment of assigned duties.
• Responsible for care of Government equipment, tools, property and materials, and assure that they are properly maintained and safeguarded.
• Performs specific tasks in accordance with verbal and/or written instructions and observes safety, fire, health, and work rules.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor and Lead Journeyman Mechanic.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Work may be performed indoors or in an outdoor field environment. Occasional lifting/pushing/pulling over 50 pounds may be required. Position may require continuous walking/standing, crawling, kneeling, stooping and/or stair climbing. Employee should be aware duties could be performed in inclement weather to include extreme heat, sun, and glare.
High school diploma or equivalent required. A minimum of two years apprenticeship or equivalent work experience in a direct or related field to include gasoline and diesel engine repair. Possess a valid state driver’s license. Must be capable of acquiring the skill and knowledge of proper and safe use of tools and equipment associated with the trade. Must demonstrate ability to comprehend and follow instructions at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance. Must demonstrate physical and mental capability to perform work.
Applicants selected either must currently possess a Secret clearance or will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements to obtain clearance prior to commencement of employment and maintain a security clearance for access to classified information or Closed/Restricted Areas throughout duration of employment.
• Active DoD Secret security clearance
• Experience in the operation and repair of cranes and heavy equipment
• Class A CDL
• ASE certified in electronic engine diagnosis