Mechanic - Military Services Group (MSG) (101116)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
American Water's Military Services Group (MSG) has been awarded a contract for ownership, operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater utility systems at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Washington state. MSG provides water and wastewater services to military installations across the country as part of the federal government’s Utilities Privatization (UP) Program. Join our team by submitting an application for one of our many opportunities at JBLM!
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,500 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
The duties of the Mechanic comprise those jobs necessary for the adequate care and maintenance of the facilities including mechanical equipment, systems, buildings, and property including repair, replacement and installation of equipment on site. In addition, the duties include fabrication and construction of minor equipment and facilities as may be required in water treatment operation.In addition, the duties include the operation and routine maintenance of the on-site systems in strict coordination with manufacturers’ recommendations and the operations team in such a manner as to prevent impact to the process and production at the facilityKey Accountabilities
- Responsible for preventive and corrective maintenance, routine servicing and care of a variety of specialized equipment and apparatus including pumps (submerged, centrifugal, peristaltic and positive displacement), mixers, motors, augers, hopers, belt presses, chemical feeding systems and instruments including control and monitoring of equipment. Inspects all mechanical equipment for proper operation in accordance with manufacturer recommendations, performs normal lubrication, adjustments, seal packing, maintenance, repairs or replacements as necessary.
- Responsible for coordinating work with various mechanical subcontractors.
- Support continuously maintaining an accurate and updated Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Must understand machinery and its operation and be able to prevent failures and diagnose and correct trouble when it occurs.
- Must have a logical mind, ability to organize a job in an efficient manner and efficiently direct mechanics when needed; must be trustworthy, conscientious, and have the proper regard for the cost and use of time, materials, tools, and equipment.
- Must be able to make assess cost benefits of in-house repairs versus the use of outside resources.
- Must have ability to work well with other employees and supervisors.
- Must be able to work from drawings, schematics, and manufacturer specifications, and have a working vocabulary of procedures, parts and equipment.
- Must have a legible handwriting, be able to write reports, and be able to do such computations and drawings as may be encountered in conducting the day-to-day business.
- Pumping Equipment – Ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair or replace various type of pumping equipment and systems in a wide range of sizes and capacity.
- Electric Wiring and Motor Care – Ability to maintain and troubleshoot electric motors, install conduit and wiring, troubleshoot electrical and control problems.
- Instrument and Control – Experience with installation, maintenance, service calibration of pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric controls and instruments.
- Additional experience preferred in the areas of welding, pipefitting, metalworking, carpentry, millwork, valves, etc.
- Able to adequately coordinate maintenance activities with operations group to minimize impact to production.
- Monitors and manages critical spares inventory and support the selection and ordering process of new equipment and replacements parts.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Graduation from high school or equivalent required
- Must have the ability to perform mathematical calculations related to the job with speed and accuracy, and communicate effectively both orally and written.
- Employee may be required to work indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend, kneel, crouch, and reach for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to climb ladders and stairs.
- Must be physically able to complete necessary tasks while wearing an approved respirator as required, as some required work may have potential for exposure to harmful contaminants, environments, noise, etc.
- Must be able to lift and carry approximately 75 pounds, unassisted.
- There will be some weekend, holiday and overtime work as needed, including on-call assignments
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.