Trace Evidence Technician
Amentum is currently seeking Trace Evidence Technician in Quantico, VA and Huntsville, AL.
A successful candidate will provide trace evidence services in support of the TEDAC Forensic Operations program. Trace evidence typically encompasses of processing and examining hairs and fibers, and objects that are made up of fibers (e.g., fabric or cordage) found in or attached to explosive devices or related materials collected and submitted to TEDAC for examination.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from the TEDAC Evidence Management Unit (EMU).
- Visually inspect and process evidence and related materials for trace evidence; photograph evidence and related materials; remove hairs and fibers from evidence and related materials; create microscope slides for hairs and fibers; mount hairs and fibers on slides; and create inventory of slides
- Conduct examinations using comparison (stereo) microscopes, fluorescence microscope, polarized light, microscope spectrometer (MSP), and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), among other scientific instruments and techniques.
- Calibrate instruments used for forensic examinations and analysis.
- Author, review, and provide QC of case notes and reports, photographs, chain-of- custody form, electronic communications, and slide inventory detailing findings of analysis, examinations, and conclusions.
- Use the current database network for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain-of-custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Serve as instrument specialists and provide service and maintenance to instrumentation; including development of new procedures and bringing new instrumentation and methods online for casework.
- Support activities, functions, or duties as they arise
- Participates with senior personnel in research studies which involve systematic, critical and intensive investigation necessary for the development of experimental processes.
- B.S degree in the natural sciences or a closely related field with at least twenty-four (24) credit hours in the physical or life sciences (e.g., chemistry, biology, or geology)
- One (1) year experience as a Physical Scientist in an accredited laboratory
- Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills
- The above experience should demonstrate the capability to deliver products under conditions of high operational tempo, frequently adjusting priorities and flux in requirements, on time. It should also demonstrate the ability to interface effectively with senior members of external organizations to develop and support technical positions, to justify technical recommendations, and communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoJ Secret security clearance.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.