Amentum is currently seeking Toolmarks Technicians in Quantico, VA and Huntsville, AL.
A successful candidate will provide toolmark services in support of the TEDAC’s counter-IED mission. Toolmark evidence typically encompasses shear marks on copper linings from explosively formed projectiles (EFPs), stamps from pneumatic presses on the surface of liners, toolmarks from various tools, nuts, and bolts on the machinery that forms EFP liners, rivets used to assemble EFPs, and microscopic irregularities on the surface of EFP liners imprinted during the stamping and cutting process.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from the EMU.
- Visually inspect and clean evidence and related materials; photograph evidence and related materials; prepare casts of EFPs; bag and number casts.
- Categorize EFPs by class and individual characteristics.
- Compare EFP castings to other submissions using an image library of EFP casting photographs.
- Conduct examinations using comparison (stereo) microscopes, desk scope, among other scientific instruments and techniques.
- Ensure daily performance check of calibration on instruments used for forensic examinations and analysis, as appropriate.
- Author, review, and provide QC of case notes, photographs, chain of custody form, and electronic communications.
- Use the current database network for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain of custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Follow all QA/QC procedures, protocols and adhere to LD policies and procedures related to its accreditation and safety standards.
- Support activities, functions, or duties as they arise.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
- B.S. degree.
- One (1) year recent experience as a Physical Scientist in an accredited laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments.
- Must successfully complete FBI laboratory Toolmarks Physical Scientist training and be qualified and authorized to conduct casework within six months from date of hire
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills
- The above experience should demonstrate the capability to deliver products under conditions of high operational tempo, frequently adjusting priorities and flux in requirements, on time. It should also demonstrate the ability to interface effectively with senior members of external organizations to develop and support technical positions, to justify technical recommendations, and communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoJ Secret security clearance.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.