Sprinkler Technician/Contract Seasonal
Seasonal Contract position supporting the National Science Foundation managed United States Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC). Fire Systems Technician – Water Based (Contract) will perform maintenance and installation tasking under the supervision of the Fire Systems Technician – Special Hazards/Supervisor (FT). Tasking is based on ASC schedule requirements.
- Inspects and maintains various water-based fire suppression systems including dry, preaction, and wet
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, repairs, and performs scheduled preventative maintenance on existing various water-based fire suppression systems
- Works with other NICET certified technicians for fire alarm systems, special hazard systems, and water-based suppression systems to develop and execute work plans
- Collaborates with Facilities Management and Facilities Engineers to develop work plans and schedules, and to identify materials needed for tasking
- Performs Winterization and De-winterization of Water Based fire suppression systems
- Performs periodic maintenance on fire systems equipment in accordance with the Preventative Maintenance Program, NFPA standards, and manufacturer's guidelines
- Prepares and documents work plans, job hazard analysis, job safety analysis, code required forms, checklists, and internal procedural documents as required
- Timely response to emergency service calls during and outside of normal working hours
- Maintains accurate and thorough documentation of hours worked, tasking performed, materials used, and processes involved
- Coordinates testing, maintenance, and repair activities as required with other parties such as Antarctic Fire Department, Station Management, Facilities Management, and building occupants.
- Utilizes the assistance of other station personnel to complete tasking, or assist other trades or departments with their tasking as appropriate
- Uses solid decision-making ability and sound judgment to safely and effectively solve problems
- Performs ongoing risk and hazard assessment while executing tasking
- Proactively identifies any unsafe conditions or hazards and communicate them effectively
- Works directly with other departments to plan and complete tasking
- Performs tasking outdoors in environmentally challenging conditions including wind and extreme cold weather
- Advises immediate Supervisor of job progress and material/labor requirements
- Learns and uses computer-based labor, material, and maintenance tracking applications
- Reviews and follows established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), suggests revisions as needed, and creates SOPs as directed
- Complies with all ASC Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH), Waste Management and Quality Assurance requirements and participates in Work Center Safety Program and ASC safety objectives
- Performs other duties as required
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- Current NICET II Water Based certification (minimum)
- Minimum four years of documented experience installing, testing, inspecting, repairing, and maintaining fire protection systems, including wet, dry and hybrid water-based suppression systems
- Experience in repair, maintenance and inspection on a variety of equipment and application types
- Experience developing written work plans, job hazard analysis, and job safety analysis related to the work activities under a permit to work system
- Experience in maintenance of commercial, government, industrial, and/or institutional facilities
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings, specifications, diagrams, maintenance manual and manufacturer’s troubleshooting guides
- Possess prior computer experience and be able and willing to learn and effectively utilize computer-based labor, inventory, and maintenance tracking applications
- Possess the competencies, willingness and ability to perform the duties of position
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to diagnose fire safety system issues and to maintain, adjust repair, and replace fire safety systems and related components
- Competent to ensure compliance with the applicable IBC, IFC and NFPA codes, and satisfaction of the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)
- Skilled in utilizing design drawings, specifications, and wiring diagrams to accomplish tasking
- Minimum intermediate level computer skills with MS Office Suite experience to include Word, Excel and Outlook
- Proficient in LOTO procedures for various tasking
- Proficient in confined space safety protocols
- Proficient in risk assessment and determination of PPE appropriate to specific tasking
- Knowledgeable of limits of PPE and proper maintenance of PPE
- Familiar with fall protection and respirator use
- Hands on experience analyzing situations and making technical and safety decisions based on specifications and applicable codes and manufacturer guidelines
- Working knowledge of current building, fire and life safety codes as related to fire protection
Preferred Qualifications and/or Experience:
- Experience with Maximo or other Computerized Maintenance Management System
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.