Boiler Turbine Plant Operator
Do you envision a workplace where every team member works together to create an amazing workplace experience? Do you want to be part of a dedicated group of professionals who consistently deliver excellence to reach our common goal of a best in class working environment If you have a positive can-do attitude and a drive for success, Amentum is looking for you! We are seeking a Boiler Turbine Floor Operator team member for our client site in Groton, CT. The successful candidate will have outstanding boiler operation and maintenance skills and will be committed to working with others to deliver best in class, unparalleled excellence in customer service and satisfaction.
To ensure 24/7 coverage, these positions will work 12-hour rotating shifts on the “Dupont Schedule”.
The DuPont schedule uses a four-week cycle: four-night shifts, three days off, three-day shifts, one day off, three-night shifts, three days off, four-day shifts, seven days off.
You’re a Boiler Turbine Floor Operator that provides an intermediate level of expertise in the operation, lineup, troubleshooting and performing preventive maintenance on all utilities plant equipment. Utilities equipment includes but is not limited to: High Pressure Boilers, Steam/Gas Turbine Generators, Industrial Chillers including their related control systems and associated auxiliary equipment.
As a Boiler Turbine Floor Operator, you will be responsible for daily support activities, including:
- Operating three fuel 600 industrial steam boilers, and associated site distribution.
- Operating a Gas Turbine and Waste Heat Recovery Steam Generator.
- Power generation and distribution as well as parallel/islanding operation.
- Distributing generated nitrogen as well as bulk delivery storage.
- Managing return condensate/steam trap systems and ancillaries.
- Making equipment rounds, testing chemistry, collecting data and making minor equipment repairs.
- Acting as 1st response to alarm conditions including escalation where appropriate
- Taking corrective action for abnormal events or system failures.
- Keeping logs and recording retention for systems including regulatory requirements maintaining system performance within permitted levels (air, water, basin discharge).
- Pursuing a continuous improvement process and training as required for further growth as a powerplant Operator.
- Performing other duties assigned by Management or Lead.
As the Boiler Turbine Floor Operator IV, you will be expected to:
- Work in a team environment with a one team mentality; be friendly, respectful, empathetic, and professional to teammates and clients.
- Value and respect employee authenticity and demonstrate cultural awareness to create a memorable experience and a respectful workplace.
- Balance workload and multiple tasks while focusing on attention to detail and prioritizing assignments.
- Take initiative to resolve issues that arise and solve problems independently; shift priorities as needed or requested by management and remain flexible.
- High school or equivalent.
- CT state OE2 license or the ability to obtain one within a year of service.
- Five years of technical experience in any skilled trade including operating and maintaining chilled water systems in a large commercial or industrial environment or demonstrated equivalent combination of education and or experience.
- One year of experience in the operation of building management systems and chilled water generation and distribution.
- Ability to obtain a security access badge at our client’s location.
- Must be willing to work overtime, holidays, various shifts, weekends, and alternative work schedules.
- Ability to obtain an appropriate Connecticut driver's license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles, as requested.
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
- This position does not include sponsorship for United States work authorization.
Some physical requirements include:
- Regularly lift to 50
- Regularly climb ladders, steps, and scaffolding
- Repetitive motions: bend, stoop, squat, kneel, stretch, reach, wrist movement
- Walk extensively throughout the plant during shift
- Work at an accelerated pace in emergency conditions
- Ability to differentiate colors pertaining to wire color-coding
- Special Requirements: Wear steel toe safety shoes, safety glasses, gloves, hard hats, and other Personal Protective Equipment as needed. Cope with demands (stressors) that are associated with the job and/or the work environment.
Pfizer Site Requirement:
All employees and contractors working at a Pfizer site must be fully vaccinated against covid-19 by November 15, unless there is an approved medical or religious exemption. “Fully vaccinated” is defined as receiving the full dose therapy of an EUA approved covid-19 vaccine and being 14 days post the completion of the required dose regimen.
- Technical degree in a related field.
- CT State OE2 license (Operating Stationary Engineer).
- Ability to read and understand repair manuals, specifications, drawings, and schematic diagrams.
- Experience working with heavy industrial or manufacturing plant steam systems, centrifugal chillers, air handling units, cooling towers, air compressors, air dryers, heat exchangers, exhaust systems, pneumatic controls, and building automation control system.
- Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS); EAMS experience.
- Experience interpreting a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.