Fuels Operator, Lead
The Fuels Operator, Lead is responsible for performing fuel operations at remote field camps and remote polar stations. In addition, responsibilities include leadership roles out in the field on tasks. Positions exist at field camps, South Pole Station, and McMurdo Station. McMurdo-based Fuels Operator, Leads may do a rotation at field camps and/or South Pole Station.
- Performs aircraft fueling tasks.
- Performs preventive maintenance tasks as directed.
- Perform inspections and maintains the fuel pits area, which may include the tanks, hose, pipelines, pump, filters, sumps, nozzles, and secondary containment structures daily.
- Performs a variety of tests on aviation fuel.
- Performs fuel transfers via a pipe, hose, and tanks.
- Performs fuel hose deployments and redeployments in the McMurdo and South Pole.
- Performs cleaning of bulk fuel tanks.
- Perform fuel truck operations.
- Perform vessel fuel offload/load
- Assumes a leadership role in the performance of bulk tank farms, helicopter fueling, aircraft fueling, fuel truck operations, fuel testing, vessel offload/on-load, maintenance and & operation of fuel distribution system & facilities, and fuel requirements for science projects.
- Responsible for providing training in all areas of fuel tasking as listed above. Offers Supervisor and/or Foreman assistance in pre-deployment and on-ice training.
- Relays equipment and fueling malfunctions to Fuels Control.
- Develops solutions to mechanical and fuel-related repairs and malfunctions.
- Physical activities to include lifting to the safety regulation maximum, climbing, crawling, and dragging hoses.
- Is required to work outside in extreme cold weather conditions.
- Report recordable number to fuels control.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates, and Licenses:
- A minimum of two years combined experience working with the following is required: fuels, plumbing, pumps, hoses, and valves. Mechanical or technical experience related to minor engine repair, auto or equipment repair, wildland firefighting, irrigation, farming work, marine, golf course maintenance, snowmaking, or any discipline in engineering can also be considered qualifying.
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Intermediate experience using Microsoft Office Word
- Ability to seek a team approach.
- Ability to operate independently given direction.
- Ability to bring ideas and solutions to issues raised.
- Previous experience in a lead or supervisory role
- Wilderness First Responder certification is preferred for field camps.
- Previous experience with remote logistics operations
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.