Senior Data Scientist
Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Senior Data Scientist
In support of the Operational, Planning, Implementation, and Assessment Services (OPIAS) contract, Amentum is seeking a data scientist who is experienced working with a diverse team of social scientists, cultural advisors, operations research systems analysts (ORSAs), and information operations (IO) planners to translate empirical research findings into United States Government operational assessments for the CCMD. The ability to work on a team in a collaborative environment is a requirement. This position is based in Qatar (the candidate will work on Al Udeid Air Base, and live on the economy in Doha).
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting Command assessments, conducting statistical analysis of primary and secondary-source opinion research projects, visualizing quantitative data (e.g., developing histograms, trend graphs, etc.), performing geospatial analysis, and overseeing technical inputs for the construction and application of an assessments database. The candidate should also be comfortable working with military planners to break down and synthesize data in a fashion that best informs plans and operations.
This position is an unaccompanied assignment located at Al Udeid AB, Doha, Qatar. Employee will live on the economy in Doha, Qatar and drive to Al-Udeid Air Base for daily support to the military.
Roles and responsibilities for this position include:
- Conducting statistical analysis of structured and semi-structured data sets, to include opinion research, social media-based big data, and various secondary-source indices. Analysis will include presentation of basic descriptive statistics, longitudinal analysis, and hypothesis testing (to include, but not limited to, non-parametric correlation and principal components analysis).
- Completing basic geospatial analysis with either ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Supporting assessments of the information environment, applying a combination of opinion research data, intelligence, operational reporting, and social media insights.
- Provide data visualization and quantitative analysis; manage and optimize existing databases, as well as potentially oversee vendor efforts to build new databases, as required by the customer.
- Prepare status reports, assess project issues and risks, and develop resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and client-satisfaction goals and objectives.
- Develop automated approaches leveraging artificial intelligence / machine learning (AI/ML) and natural language processing (NLP) to streamline the input of operational assessment data into the Command and Control of the Information Environment (C2IE) system.
- Review / analyze statistical data received from team members, other agencies, and combatant command (CCMD) organic assets, and support social scientists in authoring summary reports and/or presenting oral briefings for senior leadership.
- Review empirical / quantitative studies conducted by similar organizations and determine reliability, validity and other strength factors for potential use in theater.
- Contribute to methodology advancement for analyzing and extracting insights from large-scale qualitative and quantitative data sets to enhance comprehension of target audience behaviors and reactions.
- Work independently or in collaboration with social scientists, ORSAs, and other data scientists within and outside the CCMD Theater.
- To be considered for this position, candidates must meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Master’s degree in a data science-related degree (e.g., mathematics, statistics, computer science).
- Demonstrated experience applying data science expertise towards social scientific problem sets.
- Master’s degree and 7 years of relevant experience or PhD with 4 years of relevant experience.
- Work / research history demonstrating applied experience with data science approaches.
- Statistical package expertise in IBM SPSS/PASW, R, STATA or MS Excel statistics.
- Willing and able to relocate to Qatar for the duration of the position.
- Willing and able to travel within the CCMD area of responsibility as required by the program.
- Current U.S. passport.
- Current TS/SCI clearance.
- Project management experience. Must be able to meet OCONUS COVID-19 Travel Protocols for Qatar
- Must be able to Meet Qatar Visa and age Requirements
- Must have Valid US Passport with two years minimum remaining before expiration
- Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- PhD in a data science-related degree.
- Experiences with machine learning, natural language processing, writing Python script, and cloud computing strongly desired.
- Demonstrated experience applying data science expertise towards addressing national security issues.
- Geospatial analytic package expertise (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.)
- Joint intelligence or operational experience with U.S. Geographical Combatant Commands.
- Prior experience working the CCMD-based problem sets.
- Experience with campaign / operational assessments.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.