Amentum is currently seeking a Warehouse Specialist for the Hazardous Materials Minimization Center (HMMC) Okinawa.
This position has a rotating shift and will be subject to shift changes, weekend, holiday and overtime work. Shift work, weekends, mandatory overtime (with proper notice given) and cross-training can be required in order to meet daily/weekly workload requirements.
Relocation costs will not be reimbursed or provided.
The Warehouse Specialist shall perform collecting, receiving, handling, transporting, processing, packaging and preparing hazardous material and hazardous waste for storage and shipment. Duties involve one or more of the following: manually loading or unloading trucks or other transporting devices; unpacking, shelving, or placing items in proper storage locations; or transporting goods by hand truck, cart, or pallet jack or forklift, applying labels to individual items, manually separating removable components and destroying items to be recycled. Works in a warehouse setting and is involved in handling hazardous materials that may be flammable, caustic, toxic and/or explosive.
- Processes hazardous material (HM), hazardous waste (HW), and recycleable materials; including, but not limited to, inventorying, inspecting, receiving, and picking/staging. For HM, inspects shortages/overages prior to and upon receipt. Inspects and verifies HM and HW for proper labeling, marking, containerization, and storage.
- Labels, stows, inventories HM and HW as directed by management, transfers to/from shelf bins, loads delivery vehicles.
- Delivers HM to customers, verifies deliveries with customers' records, processes and follows up payment and delinquencies.
- Checks HM lockers and HW storage facilities and lockers to ensure proper storage and segregation, as well as proper barcoding, quantities are within authorized limits, excess HM is processed for return to HMMC.
- Uses designated procedures for handling, processing, storing, and shipping requirements, and enters extensive information to update databases.
- Conducts monthly random sampling, annual wall-to-wall inventories in accordance with warehouse procedures and as directed by the supervisor.
- Offloads HM delivered to the warehouse, signs shipping documents after verification of delivery manifests and material, acknowledges receipt of HM and records the receipt in designated databases.
- Assists with processing HW returned from customer HWAPs, including aerosol can punching, purging and recycling fire extinguishers, emptying and draining oil containers, sorts light bulbs and batteries.
Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Work will be performed in a hazardous material warehouse and hazardous waste storage area, with frequest lifting up to 50 pounds, constant use of sight abilities while reviewing labels and other documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, constant mental alertness, must possess planning/organizing skills, and must be able to work under deadlines. Ability to lift and carry loads of various weights and dimensions and ability to walk and stand for prolonged periods when working with hazardous material and waste. May be required to operate a forklift up to 6,000 pounds.
Safety – Amentum enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Amentum Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Amentum Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to his/her job.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident
High school graduate or equivalent.
Post high school training in hazardous material/waste handling and safety procedures preferred.
Working knowledge of hazardous material handling techniques.
Must complete training mandated by the company within 30 days of start date.
Valid drivers license or have the ability to obtain one with 30 days of start date.
Ability to deal move material, containers, etc up to 50 lbs.
Excellent customer service skills.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos and have the ability to write simple correspondence.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) certified.
- Forklift experience preferred. Must be able to obtain a forklift license within 45 days of start date.