Amentum, a large government contractor is seeking candidates for a new Navy/Marine Corps program to open in Beaufort, SC on the first quarter of 2024. Some key positions will be filled prior to site opening.
· The HAZMAT Specialist is responsible for assisting the Safety Manager in the development of safety, health and environmental programs; identifying, providing instruction in, and controlling hazards in all company spaces provided to the Company. Advise management on status of conformance with established federal, state, base and company policies and procedures and government safety, health and environmental standards and regulations. Assist in evaluating the effectiveness of safety, health and environmental programs and recommending improvements as required. Perform safety, health and environmental functions with the responsibility for assisting managers and supervisors in fulfilling their responsibilities in those areas.
· Must be customer oriented.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
· Assist in planning, organizing, directing, operating, and evaluating the PAE HAZMAT program.
· Must have attended the 40-hour HAZMAT class or equivalent.
· Applies the applicable Federal, DoD, state, and local regulations to protect the environment related to the F-5 Adversary program.
· Act as liaison in the absence of the Logistics and Safety Managers with representatives of Base Safety, Fire Department, OSHA, and other government organizations.
· Assists in new hire indoctrination and training.
· Assists in the development, monitoring and presentation of safety, health and environmental promotional programs for supervisors and employees.
· Monitors and ensures through Supervisors and Managers that HAZMAT rules are being enforced.
· Assists in ensuring proper and thorough HAZMAT record keeping is maintained in accordance with established Environmental Protection Agency, State and Base Standards.
· Performs job related special assignments as required.
· Maintain working knowledge of complex and technical regulations, including Customer’s Hazardous Waste Management Plan, OSHA, Hazardous Material Transportation Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and other applicable base, state and federal regulations.
· Provision, access and maintenance of waste storage and chemical storage areas.
· Routine inspection of all waste storage areas to ensure compliance with storage requirements.
· Preparation and submission of disposal turn-in documents.
· Ensure proper marking, labeling and sealing of chemical waste containers.
· Determining the type and quantities of safety and emergency equipment required. Submitting purchase order requests to obtain equipment.
· Preparation and management of a spill contingency plan, including the control of waste in emergency situations, i.e., fire, hurricane, etc.
· Establish and maintain all required records including a Chemical Waste Log, Inspection Reports, Training Records, Chemical inventories and Material Safety Data Sheets.
· Accompany Government personnel (base officials, EPA Inspectors, etc.) when at contractor facilities.
· Monitor workers assigned to assist in waste preparation and disposal.
· Conduct training of personnel involved in waste disposal and handling.
· Coordinate designated inspection program.
· Complies with all established general and industrial safety rules and regulations as applicable to the contract, facility and job assignment.
· Formal training in environmental management sufficient enough to adequately advise in-house and outside customers on environmental matters of concern.
· Participates in daily hanger cleanups.
· Must possess analytical abilities sufficient to comply with Hazardous Material written/oral instructions and regulations.
· Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with State Environmental Consultant, Federal EPA Compliance Officers, customers and company officials.
· Must be able to work day shift, night shift or weekend duty.
· Will have experience writing with clarity and technical accuracy.
· Perform other tasks as directed by management.
· Performs daily duties normally associated with this specialty.
· Practice good housekeeping, tool control, FOD awareness/prevention and safety at all times.
· Assists in flight line foreign object prevention walks.
· Comply with Hazardous Waste Program.
· Operates SE, flight line vehicles and other support equipment as required.
· Must comply with established General and Industrial Safety Rules and Regulations as applicable to the contract, facilities and job assignment.
· The HAZMAT Specialist shall have a minimum of two years practical experience within the last ten years in the management, administration, or operation of a hazardous materials/waste program.
· The two years of experience shall include receiving, storage, distributing, handling, and disposal of all types of hazardous material utilized at the Contractor’s job site.
· Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret US Government Clearance. NOTE: US Citizenship is required to obtain a Secret Clearance.
· Must have completed high school or equivalent.
· Must read, write, speak, and understand English.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This classification activity requires the scope of physical movements and postures normally associated with shop/hanger/flight line activities to include bending, stooping, walking, climbing, pushing, stretching, kneeling and working in tiring, uncomfortable positions, etc. May be required to lift objects whose weight normally will not exceed 50 pounds. Special vision abilities required to perform this job are close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
The diversity of work conditions may range from an environment where there is little or not physical discomfort, to an environment where inclement weather may subject individual to severe changes of temperature, wine, rain, etc. May be required to work in areas where high noise hazards prevail. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. May be exposed to electrical shock hazards.
LICENSING, CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS As May be Required for Job Specialty or as Directed by Management
· Driver’s License
· Emergency Reclamation
· CPR Certification
· 40 Hour HAZMAT Class
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.